Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Hybrid Automatic Transmission - start question

vkaps

Hello

This maybe not a very smart question but then I am just hoping no question is a dumb question :)

I recently bought a Yaris Hybrid which has automatic transmission. The manual says I need to press the brake when starting the car. However when I just turn the key, without pressing the brake, the car starts (I get the READY sign). I know many automatics or maybe all need one to press the brake to start the car. 

The car is in P position and handbrake is on when I do this.I have never tried to start without the P position or handbrake not on.

I am just a little worried if there is something wrong with my car or its fine, and pressing the brake is a safety feature but car can also start without that.

Thank you for your answers

The owner's manual doesn't say the car won't start unless the brake pedal is depressed. Presumably depressing the brake pedal when starting the car may prevent the car moving forwards or backwards if the car is unintentionally left in either D or R.

Thanks. Then i misunderstood and yes it makes sense to have the foot on the brake to avoid any movement.

I would take it back and get them to check it out for you. If the manual says you need to press the brake and your car acts different, I would say you have a problem. As it is meant to be a safety feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. The manual does not say that the car won't start if I dont press the brake. It says I should do it. But you are right, I will just get it checked. no harm in checking just for my satisfaction.

Many manuals for cars (not just autos) 'suggest' you press the brake and/or declutch when starting, but there isn't an interlock. The only interlock that is (afaik) always present is that an automatic will not start if it isn't in N or P, ie, it's in a gear. (For MMT boxes there isn't a P, so has to be N).

On our MMT Yaris it has to be in N and the brake pressed, on my Ford it'll start in P or N without the brake pressed.

If the manual only says 'should' then you don't have to - sounds like yours is working fine.

Thanks Mike. I think I was just being paranoid. The manual only gives the steps and says - FIRMLY DEPRESS THE BRAKE PEDAL - so there dosent seem to be an interlock. Also as you said your Ford starts in P without the brake pressed, plus I read that actually many automatic cars dont need the brake pedal pressed to start, although its a good thing to do to prevent the car from moving accidentally.

Pressing the brake pedal should illuminate the green smart start system indicator light which is shaped like a key. The car should only start when this is illuminated. Are you saying that this illuminates without the brake pedal being pressed? If so it is not working as it should. Possibly a fault with the brake light switch. Have you checked that your brake lights work correctly?

Thanks. No I haven't checked the light. my question was more on that car starts without the break pressed.

I just noticed that you are outside the UK and use a key to start the car. In the UK I believe all hybrids are push button start so may be different from yours. I still think the brake pedal push should be required to start it and you may have a fault possibly with the brake light switch on the pedal.

Thanks. The manual does not say that the car won't start if I dont press the brake. It says I should do it. But you are right, I will just get it checked. no harm in checking just for my satisfaction.

Just to check, is it push button or physical key to turn on?

If it is push button then I would expect it the require more than a button, to prevent children starting the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an interesting observation. I have a non-hybrid Icon CVT in the UK. I am so used to some older Toyota cars which require you to press the brake paddles in order to turn the ignition on. It was also the same with my old Aygo/107 MMT. But I recently just realised that braking is not required for turning the key which is interesting. For those with no experience with the old MMT gearbox, you need to step on the brake in order to get into drive mode from neutral. For safety reasons, as along as your handbrake (parking brake for our fellow Americans) is on and your foot not on the gas, it should be pretty safe, unless you are driving something which has 400bhp!. 

Hi, On the newer push button type, you can't start the system in anything but 'P' and you need to depress the brake pedal to allow 'R' or 'D' to be selected.

I'd go further than that. You can certainly turn the system on (gear selector in "P" mode) into accessories mode with a push button start and without depressing the brake pedal and you can even push the button again to turn "on" the ignition system (i.e. all the warning lights illuminate, windows operate etc.) without depressing the brake pedal but you will not see the "READY" light come up in this latter case and therefore you will NOT be able to drive away. On my Yaris with smart start etc, you have to depress the brake pedal to get the system on completely and ready to drive.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links