Do Not Sell My Personal Information

96 2.4 Hilux Surf, engaging reverse blows a fuse

ImCC

So this all started with me trying to fix the window over my tailgate, which will not roll down. I guess the motor is seized but that's not my biggest problem anymore. Apparently I broke something else while investigating this problem because as soon as I engage reverse, a fuse blows which causes a whole laundry list of problems; first of all, I have to use the red override button to get out of park. On top of this, power windows, radio and air vents do not work. The only dash panel light that comes on is the Battery light and high beams and the Battery, oil pressure and RPM gauges also do not work. There may be more which I haven't discovered yet...

I took it into a shop today, they replaced the blown fuse but as soon as reverse is engaged again the fuse blows right away and we're back where we started.

What the hell did I break, and how do I fix it? Please help!

edit; vehicle is LN130 2.4 Turbo Diesel Automatic

• 4 weeks later...

I would try disconnecting the reverse light switch, to see if the problem is with the reverse lights.

Not sure where it is fitted on yours but if it cures the fault it gives you a starting point.