Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Steering rack knackered

cogstoy

I been to the toyota dealer today and had a banging checked on my Avensis. Turns out the steering rack or gear or whatever they call it now days is worn and that is causing the banging. Ok the car is thirteen years old but its only done 47600 miles, has full service history and is in such good condition that an abusive driver as never sat in it let alone drove it but the steering rack is knackered after 47k. In all my years driving different cars I've never heard of a rack giving out at such a low mileage.

Has anyone else had a steering rack were so quickly on the Avensis?

• Like 1

Some Avensis have bushes that you cannot replace, maybe that is the issue??

5 hours ago, avensisd4d786 said:

what year?

The year is 2003 the newer version.

3 hours ago, Parts-King said:

Some Avensis have bushes that you cannot replace, maybe that is the issue??

I've heard of this.The bushes have been checked by Toyota dealer and their sure it is the rack. The teeth that engage with each other at the bottom of the column are worn and the slack in it is causing the banging. Not very good for a 47k mile rack, especailly in a well looked after car.

The car is 13 years old no matter what the mileage is, it may have a cracked boot causing water ingress or oil to exit, any number of reasons why it might fail. There are companies out there who will overhaul a rack 

I think it still has the original boots on the rack and in good order. But as you say it could be any number of reasons, I suppose. But still my 136k Nissan which I've ran for nearly five years with no trouble puts the Toyota to shame. Especailly with the way the toyota seats stain so easily.

20 hours ago, cogstoy said:

the steering rack is knackered after 47k. In all my years driving different cars I've never heard of a rack giving out at such a low mileage.

I had one go on a Cavalier at 40k/ under 2 years - we had that car from new so know that it wasn't treated abusively & I am sure that others similar cases have existed.

If you make tens/hundreds of millions of items even an incredibly small % of issues results in large numbers overall. Unfortunately for you it was your turn to be unlucky.

Unlucky is right, well at least with this car. So far I've spent more money fixing the thing than I paid for it and now a the rack to sort. The words Lemon and Friday afternoon special keep coming to mind.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links