Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius G3 Spirit Auto wiperrs

grahamh

Discussion  with Toyota dealer about auto wiper function.

I have said when wipers are on Auto, when rain is detected  depending on the volume, they first operate on delay then go to 1st speed and then 2nd speed, dealer says they only operate on of.

Can Prius owners  confirm how they operate.

regards

Graham

Discussion  with Toyota dealer about auto wiper function.

I have said when wipers are on Auto, when rain is detected  depending on the volume, they first operate on delay then go to 1st speed and then 2nd speed, dealer says they only operate on of.

Can Prius owners  confirm how they operate.

regards

Graham

Hi Graham,

As far as I know, Toyota's auto wipers all seem to work the same. When switched to auto, it wipes with the amount rain, as the rain gets heavy the speed increases. The auto functions are driven by the camera at the top of the windscreen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What you say is about right. The 3 sensitivity setting basically change the detection rate, You may as well just use the highest setting all the time. I think originally the 3 settings on the switch were for delay, 1st and 2nd speeds on manual wipers and have no real function on auto wipers. IIRC you can have the auto wipers reverted back to manual by the dealer using Techstream. 

35 minutes ago, kithmo said:

IIRC you can have the auto wipers reverted back to manual by the dealer using Techstream. 

I think that's only the Gen 4 - some people with Gen 3 auto wipers said they'd resorted to cutting a wire at the camera, and the rotary ring reverted to variable intermittent.

According the to manual, the Gen 4 dealer option to disable auto wipers, changes to "speed sensitive" variable intermittent if selected!

I've never liked auto wipers before, but I can just about live with them on the Gen 4 - the first two setting certainly do make a difference, but for some reason even the lowest occasionally causes them to operate too frequently.  I haven't decided whether to have the dealer disable them at the first service, but I've got 7,000 miles left to make up my mind.

When I asked my dealer to disable the auto wipers on my Gen3 they refused, stating that "they weren't allowed to", (perhaps while car is still under warranty?). Absolutely hate the auto wipers - give me variable intermittent anyday. Unfortunately I haven't been brave enough to go cutting wires myself just yet. 

Pete, can you confirm it's definitely a case of 'cutting' rather than 'unplugging'?

3 minutes ago, Duffryn said:

Pete, can you confirm it's definitely a case of 'cutting' rather than 'unplugging'?

Not with any certainty I'm afraid - I've read at least two comments from people that claimed to have done it (or maybe they just said it was possible) but it was a while ago and I can't remember which of the various chat groups I belong to it was on.

I had a T3 Gen 3 before (mainly to get 15" wheels) and got my dealer to fit the cruise control switch (something my helpful dealer had done as long ago as 2002 on my first Gen 1 Prius) - it didn't have auto wipers so that was another bonus.

Had it not been for the Gen 4 having it as an item in the menu of settable options, I'd have been talking to them about disabling it on this car - any yes, disconnecting would be better if that were possible.

OK thanks Pete. I don't really want to go to an independent while the car's still under warranty so maybe I'll have to wait till it's out of warranty and then try my dealer again.

Have a look at the posts of 19/07/2014 and 23/07/2014 of the following thread - 

• Like 1

Hi

Thanks for your replies ,waiting for dealer to contact me seems I was right.

On 12/08/2016 at 3:59 PM, PeteB said:

Not with any certainty I'm afraid - I've read at least two comments from people that claimed to have done it (or maybe they just said it was possible) but it was a while ago and I can't remember which of the various chat groups I belong to it was on.

I had a T3 Gen 3 before (mainly to get 15" wheels) and got my dealer to fit the cruise control switch (something my helpful dealer had done as long ago as 2002 on my first Gen 1 Prius) - it didn't have auto wipers so that was another bonus.

Had it not been for the Gen 4 having it as an item in the menu of settable options, I'd have been talking to them about disabling it on this car - any yes, disconnecting would be better if that were possible.

Well, I can confirm that the lead is 'unpluggable', just unclip the plastic covers over the sensor and pull out the connector. Just waiting for some rain now to test the wipers out (probably won't need to wait too long).

May be wrong but I think this action also disconnects the auto headlights too - if so then that's another plus for me!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links