Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris 2016 - strange noises at 50MPH

silverwood02

Hello

The car has 4000 miles on clock, bought new on 1st March 2016.

Just come back from a week away where we used the M1, M25, M6; after about 45 mins driving and at 50+ you get a strange noise in the cabin. It sounds like a burglar alarm, a constant drone. Quite low pitch, not a squealing sound. If you apply brakes it goes, but that maybe because you go under 50 MPH. Also it takes a while to start, so if you go at 50+ straight away and retain that speed, it takes 45 mins or so to start.

No steering wheel vibration and no discernible vibration in the car, just the noise. In addition to the burglar alarm sound, it would be the sort of sound I would expect if you had a 'wobbly whee'l. Not that I have ever had one. Just what I would think it would sound like.

Any ideas?

Keith

So what happens if you're doing 70 and you brake back down to 55? Does the noise go immediately, or doesn't it disappear till 50 or below?

Could be all sorts of things, but I'm guessing a bad tyre. (soft rubber mix, slightly misaligned tread, anything.) These things happen to the best brands from time to time. Maybe you can arrange to take your dealer's mechanic out for a spin some time when it's already warmed up and making the noise so that he can hear it?

Either way, it sounds unusual, so get the dealer to look at it and report back to you. It's part of what you paid them all that lovely money for, and they expect it.

Ok Thanks.

If you brake the noise goes, but comes back when you accelerate again. So for example on the M6, at around 65, I applied brakes, the noise went, then after  a few mins it was back. It seems if you apply brake, it goes whatever speed.

The brakes did squeak for a while when we first got the car, but after 2000 miles it stopped. Just seems strange it only happens at high speed.

Ok - just got the car back from the dealer. Now bear in  mind it is 5 months old, just under 4000 miles; They can not find the problem! Surprise surprise.

I am going to assume (?) that Toyota monitor this forum? So they gave mw two options - 1 drive to Leeds (about 2 hours) and have that dealer examine the car or report the issue to Toyota for their views. Not very good for a new car is it?

I have had Toyota's since 1980 and no other car, but this has really put me off them

I would be interested if Toyota do have a view.

Toyota may or may not monitor this forum - we aren't associated with Toyota - but they certainly won't reply to any post. So unfortunately you won't get a response from them via TOC.

Could always raise a question either directly with Customer Services at Toyota GB - https://www.toyota.co.uk/contact-us - or on the Toyota UK blog - http://blog.toyota.co.uk

Ok thanks.

The dealer  say they are reporting the issue to Toyota, so I shall wait and see. Of course as my wife has just pointed out - if they are unable to establish why at speed the car makes these noises, how do they know it is safe to drive? Yes they may say - Oh of course it is, but they don't know, because they do not know why the noise happens or what causes it.

Interesting one for Toyota.

Thanks for the links. Toyota were not really helpful, but the dealer is taking it a bit more seriously. They are going to take the car for two days and try to replicate the issue.

I will post any results.

Totally O/T, but you've reminded me of a friend who used to work at a motorcycle dealers. A customer came in with a complaint about his brand new Suzuki. "Every time I take it over 120 mph the front end shakes," he said. "I need it fixed."

So what was the dealer supposed to do, bearing in mind that this was a road bike with a claimed top speed of over 140? Send a mechanic out on it for a test drive? Hire Thruxton for the morning and hope for the best that nobody fell off it? The bike ended up going back to the factory for a rebuild. No other way of getting to the bottom of the issue. :biggrin:

Very amusing, however this issue is not a joke. No one knows why it does it, so no one can say the car is actually safe to drive at speeds over 50MPH. Mod edit - comment removed.

A little levity helps make the forum a more interesting place. 

Members shouldn't be informing others they cannot post - that is the realm of the moderators.

Post above edited accordingly.

Well I said I would let you know what happened. The dealer took the car last night, drove over 150 miles, and maintained a speed over 50. His wife also went, he could not faulty the car, his wife thought the sound was similar to a ball bearing going round and round at speed. The upshoy is when the tyres get hot and you go over 50MPH expect road noise.

Never had it before, but its quite normal(!)

Still be keen to know if anyone else has ever had anything similar though.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links