Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SCV valve new one fitted but doesn't work!

Martyt3x

Hi, purchased a new scv valve from eBay and fitted this afternoon but sends the car into limp home mode as soon as the throttle is pressed, refitted old one and no limp home mode, it's supposed to be direct replacement i.e. Not the uprated one but I've noticed the internal bore of the nozel is much smaller than the original, everything else matches, any one else had this problem? Engine 1AD-FTV 2006.

Does it need programmed to it?

Have you disconnected the Battery?

It's direct replacement same as original not the uprated valve that needs ecu update. I have ordered another from a seller who has confirmed there are 2 options of valve so we will see how it goes! 

OK keep us posted on the outcome 

Ok new valve arrived, has a much larger bore the same as original, fitted, now get a rattle on starting and noisier engine! No engine management lights or limp home mode, Settles down after a minute but occasional fluctuation in revs on tick over, I'm hoping it's just air in the system after fitting the valve, will be taking her for a test drive in the morning....

• Like 1

Ok test drive done, engine noisey rattles at low revs, revs surge in tickover still, starts better and it's got more go, sometimes smooths out and other times rattles contacted supplier for advice but no response. Not sure if there is air in the system. Sounds like diesel knock or injector but if I put the original scv back it's much quieter but a bit less get up and go and sluggish starting wondering if the new valve is working but the fuel rail pressure being higher is just making an injector problem more obvious. Really love this car but can't keep throwing money at it. 

Have you tried to bleed the air out?

I don't suppose you have Toyota techstream diagnostic tool? If you have you can shut down each injector to see if any is to blame.

I wish I had tech stream. I have vag com and use the obd2 function to read/clear codes, I have cross referenced the part numbers with denso and the Toyota part number and it's the correct valve, I'm going to take it out again tomorrow and refit in case there is something not right, I can't see how to bleed the system other than the pump head and thought you couldn't bleed past that on a common rail engine. Failing all that it might be a duff valve as the plastic packet it came in inside the box was already open and it smelled of diesel so it may have been a returned one they have sent me out that was faulty. 

I'd send it back just in case it is duff..techsteam is cheap to buy online 

Do you still have your tuning box on the car?

17 hours ago, frankie406 said:

Do you still have your tuning box on the car?

I do, I took it off after I fitted the first valve and left it off after I put the original valve back on and then fitted the replacement valve and run the car without it, plugged it back in now but it wasn't the cause of the running problem.

Ok another update... Yesterday I went for a drive early morning car started fine but by the time I got out of my street ems, traction control and vcd lights came up and very limited performance, stopped and restarted several times kept happening, gave up went home had a cup of tea and went to move the car and started first turn of the key, went for a long drive and perfect, after 10 mins all the  engine management lights disappeared and engine smooth and quiet. 

This morning car started perfectly out all day and smooth quiet and no problems, replacement valve arrived this afternoon in sealed pack and had a plastic cap on the end which the previous one hadn't. So I decided to fit this one as the previous one was obviously a return and had been used. Big mistake! Car didn't start for 10 minutes and now it runs for a few seconds and then dies, I'm hoping to dear god a run tomorrow will sort it out and all the problems are down to air trapped in the system and it takes a while to right it's self. One thing I have noticed is that the fuel primer is always soft I.e.. I prime until the button is hard run the car or go for a drive and if I press the primer button it's soft again. Does anyone know if the primer should stay hard or is this normal? Im

going to hang on to the valve I should be returning for a couple of days in case the replacement one doesn't sort it's self out. Just need to sort this as valuable time and money is going into this one small problem that I should be spending on a second hand leather interior and 17" t-spirit alloy wheels lol! 

• Like 1

Finally sorted!! The replacement valve was the wrong one, when I checked it against the one they originally sent it had one digit  in the middle of the part number different a 6 instead of a 9, I test frove her this morning and the car just kept stalling so whipped it off and refitted the previous correct part and it started instantly and putts again, think I will just settle for this one even if it was fitted to someone else's car and returned the likelihood is it was sent out wrong and returned. 

Of anyone wants any future advice on scv valves give me a shout lol! I have had a hard and fast crash course! 

Lol well at least you got it sorted.and now an experienced scv fitter!

• Like 1