Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First Car for Daughter

jstallan

Hi,

Looking to get my daughter her first car to give her more 'road hours' whilst learning. She's already had a number of lessons and feedback from her instructor is very positive and supports what we are going to do (she'll continue with her instructor as well).

Budget is about £2k (at a push), but undecided between the Mk1 and Mk2 Yaris. Think I'll stick with petrol and avoid diesel but definitely opt for a 5 door. We owned a Mk1 (teardrop headlights) for about 10 years prior to getting a Mk3 and it was a great car. Is the Mk2 a better car? What one is better for a new driver ?

Any thoughts / opinions ?

A Mk2 1.0 ltr YM08 50k miles should be about right, but avoid MMT auto box at all cost. you could also look at a Honda Jazz, it's quite roomy and easy to handle also.

Try looking up Honest John. The older Yaris has a few issues. 

• Like 1

Late mk1 1.3 or mk2 1.3 would be ok if well looked after,  it's a Toyota and will last forever, both my Toyota are at 87thow (Corolla teardrop 02 1.6) and 96thow (Yaris mk1 pre teardrop 1.3 SR)  still running like a dream and I track both cars aswell so they don't get an easy life lol

• Like 1

We have a 2003 Yaris d4d. 

Watch out for corrosion at the rear: petrol filler pipes, rear spring holders , brake pipes etc. (ours is OK as it has been rustproofed).

Radiators corrode due to age.. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Placed a deposit tonight (collect Saturday) on a 2004 1.3 T-Spirit 5 door in Silver with 38,000 miles and FSH plus loads of invoices. A little dirty but excellent driver.

Sounds a great car for her nice one! When my Corolla has to be retired finally, I will be buying a new type Yaris to go with my other Yaris. Toyota are supposed to be going to release a hot hatch Yaris in 2017 with them going back into rallying in the WRC. 

• Like 1