Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo 2012 Fire Overheating in traffic

joanne8017

Mt Aygo has started overheating whilst sitting in traffic or while engine is on when idle, I put my inside fan on hot and full power to help cool car down, Is that the correct way? Has just been serviced so I assume the radiator has been topped up.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Joanne 

Edited by joanne8017

Does the fan for the radiator come on at all?

Putting your inside fan on hot and on full whack helps remove hot air from the engine bay so you're correct there.

• Like 1

If the car has just been serviced and is overheating since being serviced, take it back to whoever did the service.

Assuming normal mileage/sevice intervals etc it should still be under its five year warranty.  

yes its up to date with services etc, this was its 4 year service and cost me a small fortune 

22 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

If the car has just been serviced and is overheating since being serviced, take it back to whoever did the service.

21 minutes ago, joanne8017 said:

was serviced on the 28th July by Toyota 

12 minutes ago, alan333 said:

Assuming normal mileage/sevice intervals etc it should still be under its five year warranty.  

Take it back to the Toyota dealer.

You need to take it back to Toyota.

Unless the problem is blindingly obvious, Toyota will give you a courtesy car whilst your Aygo is getting looked at and repaired, so you'll not be off the road.

This thread does highlight the importance of having the servicing done by Toyota during a warranty period. Even Toyotas go wrong sometimes.

A FIRE overheating ? Got to see the humour there.

Yep back to the dealer asap.

HAHA thats funny!!!!!!  :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Am sure is coz i was sitting in traffic for a while this morning ill see what its like driviing home tonight, if the same ill get in touch with the dealer,

We've had 19 new cars, and never had one experience of any of them overheating due to traffic - and this is in Birmingham which can have really heavy traffic. Variety of engine sizes from 1.0 litre upwards. Really do think it would be advisable for the dealer to check the car is OK.

22 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

We've had 19 new cars, and never had one experience of any of them overheating due to traffic - and this is in Birmingham which can have really heavy traffic. Variety of engine sizes from 1.0 litre upwards. Really do think it would be advisable for the dealer to check the car is OK.

Don't forget the shocking driving!

But yeah, I've had my 107 around Birmingham for the last 6 years and it's never overheated.

my temperature light hasnt come on just hearing the fan from the front of car 

The OP says she "assumes the rad had been topped up" but no mention as to if it is full of coolant  or  if there is in fact enough in there. Also would there be any reason for them to drain it ? Are there any signs of leakage. Is the rad cap faulty and not holding pressure?

If the temperature light hasn't come on and I assume the Aygo doesn't have a temp gauge, It's probably working as it should.

It's not at all unusual to hear the fan when the car is stationary and the fan should start, run for a few minutes then turn off again once it's cooled the coolant enough. It will start again after a few minutes more when the engine gets warmer again. The electric fan will be the only means of getting air through the radiator when the car isn't moving so if it's starting, it's doing it's job.

Craig.

1 hour ago, joanne8017 said:

my temperature light hasnt come on just hearing the fan from the front of car 

39 minutes ago, craggle said:

If the temperature light hasn't come on and I assume the Aygo doesn't have a temp gauge, It's probably working as it should

There is a light on the dashboard that will come on if the car is actually overheating. If the fan is coming on it doesn't mean it's over heating, it means the water has got to the point where it needs to be regulated and stopped going above (I think) 90C. When you're driving on the open road the fan won't really come on due to the air going in to the radiator, although if you're in warmer climates the fan can come on even if air is going through the radiator. If you're in stand still traffic the fan will come on regardless.

But if this is your only indication of the car overheating then I'm fairly sure your car isn't overheating. It's absolutely normal.

Just to add to the comments above, if yours has A/C, then that makes some wonderful fan noises too. It's by far the noisiest A/C I've ever had in a car lol.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links