Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CVT gearbox filter

Catherine C

Hello all,

Our 2010 Verso 1.8 is in for servicing tomorrow and it is having the CVT gearbox oil changed at the same time.  The receptionist on the service desk has checked and says the CVT gearbox doesn't have a filter and so it doesn't need changing but my dad, a retired mechanic with decades of experience, is adamant that he has never ever seen and auto box without an oil filter.

So have Toyota taught my old dad a new trick and built a hydraulically driven gearbox with no filter or do I need to go back and talk to the dealer about getting the filter changed?

Thank you is advance for any advice you can give me.

It seems that Toyota may be correct, and there is no filter used in the CVT gearbox. Instead there are magnets in the pan to collect any metallic debris.

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2010/verso/zgr21r-gwxepw/1_157240_040_525W/powertrain-chassis/3401_transaxle-assy-cvt#35106L

Here is a video show a fluid change on a car using the same transmission:

• 2 weeks later...

Well there is no filter and he will stop wittering about it by 2018 if we are lucky.

On a serious note we didn't even notice that our CVT box was getting a bit noisy and unresponsive until we got our new verso, I guess the issue developed very slowly.  Anyway the oil change on the CVT box has made a massive difference to box and it is quieter and quicker than it has been in a long time.

My advice to everyone is that the oil in these boxes is clearly not going to last the life of the vehicle in all cases so keep and eye (and an ear) on it.

Thanks for the video link Konrad, it looks a very messy job that one.

• 4 years later...

Can someone please advise how reliable the Verso CVT gearbox is please? Also, are these the ones the with a conventional first gear along with the standard CVT setup ?

The "Direct Shift" CVT with the separate first gear was only introduced in 2018, after Verso production stopped. Difficult to find definitive confirmation, but I'm fairly sure it uses the Aisin K311 CVT.

Some details here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_K_CVT_transmission

It is indeed the K311 (upto 2015) the verso also uses the K313 (2015-10/2017)

the Aisin CVT's are a lot better that the Nissan Jatco boxes that tend to grenade at 60K miles