Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Coolant leak

rav4cossor

Hi guys.

I have just acquired a 56 plate Rav XT3.

I noticed the coolant level was low so I topped it up. I checked it again a week later and it had dropped to the low mark again .

I can't find any sign of a leak.  But it is obviously going somewhere. Maybe the expansion tank cap ?.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Engine runs fine and no white vapour from the exhaust

Hi John and welcome to the club.Mine is like that and it gives no problems by being so, it just seems that that is how it wants to be. Don't worry about it and just enjoy driving a great motor

Del

Hi Del.

Thanks for the reassuring reply 

Do you need to top yours up? Or does it just stay at the low  level. 

Regards John 

mine was the water pump leaking.  u may get a drop on the oil filer.  will be a blue or green drops in colour

I also had a slight water pump leak , only noticed when I needed to replace the aux belt. Had a new one fitted all in inc labour and vat £112.00 

Hi folks. 

Thanks for the info will have a look at the water pump .

Cheers John 

we had a 06 and still have a 07 plate 2.2 Rav4 both kicked out coolant from the expansion bottle when topped up to the max line, some says it's a sign the head gasket is going but you should be able to see a red staining/powdery residue around the vent on the expansion bottle I like to keep mine topped up so i have run a piece of rubber tubing to the back/side of the engine and the excess just drips away.

If you have only just bought this vehicle why not get someone to do a sniff test to make sure the cylinder head is OK. this year/model are prone to head gasket failure due to carbon build up, if it's all OK, consider blanking off the EGR valve this is the main reason for carbon build up with the exhaust gases being sent back into the engine. I blanked mine from new it runs very clean and the inlet manifold looks like new, look at one with the EGR valve un-blanked it looks a mess............

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links