Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Controlling throttle to hear engine while working

toyotamatrix05

Is there any way to control the throttle on a 2005 matrix (similar to corolla engine) while working under the hood? I want to avoid having two people required to hear the engine. So is there a way to control the throttle like with old cars where you pull the throttle cable? Or is it not possible on a 05 matrix 1.8 corolla style engine?  

Needing two people to control the throttle to hear and diagnoize noises at a certain rpm is an inconvenience.

Any way to pull the cable under the hood while engine running to rev engine up a couple hundred RPMS? I am having trouble finding the throttle cable, but even if I found it I would be scared that pulling the cable will not work like an older vehicle with the new technology on throttle bodies.

Not something I have done, but theoretically I would have thought you could disconnect the accellerator pedal position sensor and replace it with a remote one on a long  screened cable  that you could use under the bonnet ...?

Often see mot testers using a custom made threaded bar they wedge between the pedal and seat so they can screw it up or down for the revs needed.

Might be worth looking at the OBD testers, some might have such an option built in ?

It's fine to operating the cable from within the engine bay. I've often found it at the back of the engine on the left hand size, it's like a quarter circle shape that is operating when the cable is pulled from the pedal being pushed.

At the same time, you can buy an OBD2 adapter from Amazon for £7 (I bought one for myself). It doesn't work with an iPhone, but you can download ODB Doctor for Android and it works perfectly. All the data the car will give in real time.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links