Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis reversing sensors

NeilMc

My Avensis (2006) reversing sensors only work if the reversing bulb is removed. If the bulb is in place neither the bulb nor the sensors work. I would appreciate any advice on this problem. Thanks.

Have you tried replacing the bulb? And check earths etc.. It sounds like there's not enough currant, maybe the bulb is the wrong wattage. 

The bulb is fine and is the correct wattage. I've tried a new bulb as well. The old one works in other sockets. All the other lights in the cluster work fine and I assume they use the same earth.

Keep the reversing light the sensors are not needed 

My X5 has sensors and a camera but my daughter still tells me they aren't really needed because when you are to close the car makes a loud thud 

• Like 1

Is this an aftermarket kit you have fitted? Has it worked before during your ownership? The reason I ask is parking sensors are pretty simple but usually require 12volts so when reverse is selected and 12volts are sent down the cable it powers the sensors and sounder box, I had an aftermarket kit I fitted to a Passat b6 and it came with a resister box because be only had 9volts to the reverse lights as standard of I remember rightly that was powered from another source in my case the 12volt power plug in the boot. So the switch to the reverse light cable only detected the power and switched on the live from the alternative 12 volt source.

They were installed by toyota when the car was new. They have worked perfectly until 7 days ago.

Im pretty sure they would have been a dealer fit option and not from the factory which means although a good quality kit they would have been after market, without getting a multimeter on it and testing/checking cables it's hard to say, if you can find the sounder box in the boot usually behind the side carpet trims or under the false floor and then follow the cable back to where it joins the live feed for the reverse bulb it may have been soldered on which may have a dry joint and being disturbed when the bulb fitted, also check for a drop in voltage at the sounder box, for example check voltage at the box when bulb not fitted and they work then check voltage at the box when bulb is fitted. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, newbie here. Looking to fit reverse sensors on my avensis t25 2007 without removing the bumper. Can anyone advise how to route the exterior sensor wires back into the avensis near the reverse lights. I know there are grommets you're supposed to route the wiring through but I can't seem to find any near the reverse light cluster. Any help is appreciated. P.s. I've checked the pdf manual on toyota site and they refer to removing the bumper which I don't intend to do. 

Thanks. 

Wouldn't you be better to take the bum;per off? As I understand it, the positions where the sensors go is marked out on the inside of the bumper.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links