Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tuned & modded Toyotas, All Welcome show what they got +1hp>

Mats Turret

Im curious to see all kind of Toyotas and how you get them run faster, all models and tunes are welcome, tips & tricks too.And remember NO Advertising! Dyno charts etc measuring documents are allowed, i assume. Needs only Frostyballs blessing. 

Spark for this query is that Tommi Mäkinen has started to develop Rally car for Toyota again in here Finland, after long time. I have reason to believe this is going to add more interest for tuning.

Example this Land Cruiser 140kW stock. Chart is rippled but it was awful to measure, we find after this how to lock 3 gear permanently for measuring. 

LC150_140kW_Dyno.jpeg

LC_150_2007_30AT.jpg

Borrow from a Danish tuner with over 30 years experience. This car got a remap

004744450eae0c66cd756073a365ac0f.jpg

• Like 1

I think you will find limited response here, there is little to no interest in the uk for proper tuning products for the avensis as it has an image as a sensible car for the older generations, it falls into the gap because of insurance, younger people who are interested in tuning buy volkswagens or cheaper French cars or smaller engines cars because of their retro or sporty image and abundance of tuning products someone who is older and into tuning will buy a car that is already high performance more expensive to buy but has more status on the road than an avensis, most people buy an avensis because they are looking for a sensible car that has a good reliability record and they are not necessarily the type of buyer that then wants to put on a body kit and mess with the engine. Also as Toyota doesnt make a performance version with any sporty extras like lowered suspension or big alloy wheels extra body kits etc.. As far as I know they didn't even have a rear spoiler as an optional extra due to the cars target audience. Don't get me wrong I would like to improve my avensis but in the uk there just aren't the products as there is little demand. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Martyt3x said:

As far as I know they didn't even have a rear spoiler as an optional extra due to the cars target audience. Don't get me wrong I would like to improve my avensis but in the uk there just aren't the products as there is little demand. 

There were. Indeed TTE/Toyota Motorsport did sports grilles, front, rear & side skirts, rear spoilers plus sports steering wheels, gear knobs, alloys, lowering springs etc. However, at least in the UK, these options have reduced over time, generations & facelifts presumably because they didn't sell in quantities to justify them. Again, in the UK the Avensis is mostly a company fleet car (as are Insignia, Mondeo etc.) - the UK has an unusually high % of company cars compared to most countries - & most companies won't let you modify their cars ... :tongue:. It's also in what is a declining market with sales down vastly for this class hence why we probably won't see a direct replacement.

Certainly in standard form the Avensis (at least diesels) for the last 2 models doesn't drive/handle as well as the likes of Mondeo or Vectra/Insignia so people wanting a sporting drive wouldn't put it at the top of their lists.

Martin is spot on.

Can I add that you may find slightly better response in the Auris page. There are the SR180/T180, which are more sporting and attracted the younger owners, than the Avensis.

Yes there are a few owners who have tuned their diesels.

What Avensis owners tend to do is upgrade the car audio system, the interior and missing extras.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Matti,

I have post a link to this post on the Auris site, as you may get more response from there.

There are a few more SR180 and T180 that may have been modified/tuned, compared to the Avensis.

Konrad 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

I`m also Toyota Avensis user (2.0D-4D 126Hp base) , remapped to 159HP/390NM

I have some questions and maybe someone can help me with opinions or advices:

I plan to go at Stage2 so i will search an reinforced clutch. But for this i need to know if Gearbox can handle so much torque, or maybe someone knows this Gearbox type and it`s torque limitations if is the same with 2ad-fhv (400NM stock) or is different.

TOYOTA AVENSIS 2.0 D4D COMP.PNG

• Like 1

Hi! Vacation is now over, bored as hell... :D

I think clutch is a kind of a fuse which determines how gearbox can handle torque. You already added 25% more so limit is near. Example some VW cars adding low rev torque on 5 speed gearbox burns clutch rightaway, adding harder clutch 3-4 gears going to be broke. In my opinion this tune is littlebit overtuned already on torque part. More kW on upper rev can be more easier to gearbox handle, crushing low rev torque makes other problems too, not just on clutch. Do you have 6 speed gearbox? One question about stg2, how much is injection volume now? I assume that stock injector nozzles cannot provide much more fuel and intercooler must be changed too, intake is getting very narrow.. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have kn intake.

Boost is ok i saw on other chiptuning companies 380-390nm without problem. I don.t know nothing about injection volume untill now, will need to check wich is the limit of the injectors. Yes i have 6speed gearbox, i m very curious if i replace clutch & dmf with something stronger, will resist the gearbox or will be broken...i  dont know how much can handle... in VAG 500-550nm 6 speed gearbox without problems.

On 8/25/2016 at 8:15 AM, Martyt3x said:

I think you will find limited response here, there is little to no interest in the uk for proper tuning products for the avensis as it has an image as a sensible car for the older generations, it falls into the gap because of insurance, younger people who are interested in tuning buy volkswagens or cheaper French cars or smaller engines cars because of their retro or sporty image and abundance of tuning products someone who is older and into tuning will buy a car that is already high performance more expensive to buy but has more status on the road than an avensis, most people buy an avensis because they are looking for a sensible car that has a good reliability record and they are not necessarily the type of buyer that then wants to put on a body kit and mess with the engine. 

Very true. Middle-aged boring old !Removed! here, and yes, I bought my Avensis Tourer entirely because of Toyota's reputation for build quality and reliability, and I needed something for lugging my increasingly bigger kids and their gear around. I don't have the time or the inclination to modify it in the slightest, it already does exactly what I need it for. 

Go back 25+ years though, and I'd spend many a happy hour tinkering with my cars, with varying success.... I modified the accelerator pedal on my Austin Maxi so the throttle would open to the maximum (the floor got in the way!), and once spent a whole Saturday tweaking the timing and the carb of a Datsun Stanza to double the fuel consumption - it didn't half shift, though!  

But modern cars can't be tweaked like that, especially not diesels, and in any case, if I wanted a fast car I'd just go an buy one, rather than buy a slow one and try to make it fast. That said... I previously had a couple of Honda Accords and was a member of a Honda forum in which there was a lot of talk about tuning, modding, remapping, etc of the Accord, which got me interested.  If I'd got another Accord then I was seriously considering having something done to it.  

Oh dear, oh dear.The universal response to my notions of modifying my Avensis, an 2002 1.8vvt-i, are generally a long the lines of sniggering, shaken heads, disbelief and why the f**K bother who wants to modify an old Toyota particularly an Avensis.

As has been pointed out it's target market when on sale new were the fleet buyers,mini cab drivers and the older/middle aged sector of the UK market.Again,as has been already pointed out the aftermarket/performance/modifcation industry don't really cater for it in any real sense certainly there's a highly limited range of off the shelf products and upgrades for the car.So again why bother??

Does nobody remember where modding and customising began, it wasn't with the Max Power/Fast Car/Gran Tourismo/Fast and Furious set who are into cars for fashion reasons and as a lifestyle choice.It began where an began in your garage making things fit your car to make it a little quicker, it began with car heads not posers.

As for making mine faster that's still to be achieved because I've not had the time over the summer with work to start building the engine I've had in my garage for months.....i prefer long nights in the garage when it's winter n dark cos I'm just weird like that anyway lol.

The sum total of my modifications so far have been to the suspension and in terms of weight reduction.

I've fitted a fully adjustable coilover suspension set up which has lowered it 40/50mm all round aswell as dramatically improved the handling. New ball joints, track rod ends, bearings etc have also helped but the next stage I think will be beefed up antiroll bars. Apart from that the chassis is surprisingly well sorted. That is on the standard 15 inch Vermont alloys which Is constantly being advised to swap for 18s or 17s at least, which I have happily ignored and fully intend to keep on ignoring :)

In the meantime I've finally managed to get a hold of Dwyer Differential Pressure Gauge so can't wait to try it out and test the intake for where any real restrictions may be, exhaust back pressure etc.

As for the rebuilt engine I'm planning to do some headwork, junk the precat manifold for the 143 bhp Celica version, some mild intake mods but mostly fully blueprint the bottom end.I've got new pistons, big ends, mains, rings etc, etc and will be modifying them slightly to improve their oil flow capacity aswell as opening up and smoothing out the oil galleries in the block and head, fitting an oil cooler with sensors for oil temp/pressure along with a modified sump to increase the oil volume. It should be easy enough to dig up an oil filter that has a larger capacity but fits for better filtration.

Anyway, the point being there's little point modifying any engine if the bottom end, the foundation isn't bombproof but with a 1ZZ-FE engine I think that becomes even more necessary die to the inherent weaknesses in the certain aspects of it's design.With a solid base then the logical avenue is forced induction i.e a supercharger :)

As for it's outward looks, I really like the clean, low sleeper look so to the point I've resisted the lure of the St grill or rear spoiler.I think the biggest improvement yet also quite a trivial one in the eyes of many would be respraying my mirrors to body colour instead of black plastic :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2b53d83411187c7bcc6d463343a78df8.jpg467b300be360db600345b8a34de2ebf1.jpga719eb070db15b1f5401eb17b74adf8a.jpgb67490388f3589766982d1186e44a1b7.jpgb90163334a392af8972a84f1318acddb.jpg

Oh dear, oh dear.The universal response to my notions of modifying my Avensis, an 2002 1.8vvt-i, are generally a long the lines of sniggering, shaken heads, disbelief and why the f**K bother who wants to modify an old Toyota particularly an Avensis.

As has been pointed out it's target market when on sale new were the fleet buyers,mini cab drivers and the older/middle aged sector of the UK market.Again,as has been already pointed out the aftermarket/performance/modifcation industry don't really cater for it in any real sense certainly there's a highly limited range of off the shelf products and upgrades for the car.So again why bother??

Does nobody remember where modding and customising began, it wasn't with the Max Power/Fast Car/Gran Tourismo/Fast and Furious set who are into cars for fashion reasons and as a lifestyle choice.It began where an began in your garage making things fit your car to make it a little quicker, it began with car heads not posers.

As for making mine faster that's still to be achieved because I've not had the time over the summer with work to start building the engine I've had in my garage for months.....i prefer long nights in the garage when it's winter n dark cos I'm just weird like that anyway lol.

The sum total of my modifications so far have been to the suspension and in terms of weight reduction.

I've fitted a fully adjustable coilover suspension set up which has lowered it 40/50mm all round aswell as dramatically improved the handling. New ball joints, track rod ends, bearings etc have also helped but the next stage I think will be beefed up antiroll bars. Apart from that the chassis is surprisingly well sorted. That is on the standard 15 inch Vermont alloys which Is constantly being advised to swap for 18s or 17s at least, which I have happily ignored and fully intend to keep on ignoring :)

In the meantime I've finally managed to get a hold of Dwyer Differential Pressure Gauge so can't wait to try it out and test the intake for where any real restrictions may be, exhaust back pressure etc.

As for the rebuilt engine I'm planning to do some headwork, junk the precat manifold for the 143 bhp Celica version, some mild intake mods but mostly fully blueprint the bottom end.I've got new pistons, big ends, mains, rings etc, etc and will be modifying them slightly to improve their oil flow capacity aswell as opening up and smoothing out the oil galleries in the block and head, fitting an oil cooler with sensors for oil temp/pressure along with a modified sump to increase the oil volume. It should be easy enough to dig up an oil filter that has a larger capacity but fits for better filtration.

Anyway, the point being there's little point modifying any engine if the bottom end, the foundation isn't bombproof but with a 1ZZ-FE engine I think that becomes even more necessary die to the inherent weaknesses in the certain aspects of it's design.With a solid base then the logical avenue is forced induction i.e a supercharger :)

As for it's outward looks, I really like the clean, low sleeper look so to the point I've resisted the lure of the St grill or rear spoiler.I think the biggest improvement yet also quite a trivial one in the eyes of many would be respraying my mirrors to body colour instead of black plastic :)

2b53d83411187c7bcc6d463343a78df8.jpg467b300be360db600345b8a34de2ebf1.jpga719eb070db15b1f5401eb17b74adf8a.jpgb67490388f3589766982d1186e44a1b7.jpgb90163334a392af8972a84f1318acddb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

As someone who once upon a time had a road rally spec. Talbot Sunbeam that was all go & no show (unless you looked very closely) I do appreciate both where car modifying came from & the sleeper look.

Unless you are really focused on getting the best handling definitely don't go to 18" wheels - you will pay for it in ride & more importantly in wheel/tyre damage.

I do have concerns about putting a lot of money into a car that has very little value but as it's your money it's your decision so crack on ...:smile:. Of course it should go without saying to make sure that it is properly insured as a modified car - my Sunbeam was insured all those years ago with all mods declared by Adrian Flux who of course have a presence on this forum.

• Like 1

Any mod suggestions for the 1984 Celica GT-S in this video? Yes sorry the editing is not the best. 

• Like 1

As someone who once upon a time had a road rally spec. Talbot Sunbeam that was all go & no show (unless you looked very closely) I do appreciate both where car modifying came from & the sleeper look.

Unless you are really focused on getting the best handling definitely don't go to 18" wheels - you will pay for it in ride & more importantly in wheel/tyre damage.

I do have concerns about putting a lot of money into a car that has very little value but as it's your money it's your decision so crack on ...smile.png. Of course it should go without saying to make sure that it is properly insured as a modified car - my Sunbeam was insured all those years ago with all mods declared by Adrian Flux who of course have a presence on this forum.

Sunbeam,eh. Respect to you there have always fancied a shot of one of those... a Ti or the Lotus?? I was thinking of the kids like 15, 20 years younger with their wee Corsas and A3s that you see on the roads these days...... or maybe it's me at my age thinking they ain't real petrol heads like when I was their age wi my T reg 78 Fiesta, tuned up 1600 Kent, 1100 gearbox, 13 inch Cortina steels on it, all bits from my friendly, local scrappy lol.

Anyway, you're right I won't get any return on any money I put into it (unless I hang on to it another 15 years until it's an old OLD classic, it's just old now lol). If I sink say for arguments sake 3,000 in it it'll still only be worth maybe a grand with a year's MOT.

Thing is return value has never been a factor with any car for me. Don't get me wrong I'm not rolling in money by any means but it's not about the money but build something a little different.

I was 3 years at college doing engineering and built engines for my mates rally car,the work on the chassis and body too so I've got a real grounding in modifying and for some strange reason it's in my head to go to town on the Avensis. I was looking out for a mk1 Cav or an old 1.8/2.0 Sapphire as a project but the Avensis will be a far bigger challenge I reckon.

It's my first true OBD2 compliant car and getting my head around the actual business of communicating with the diagnostics is a bit out of my familiar territory. I've been dealing with management systems, fault codes, O2 sensors and all that for years but ISO9141-2, custom PIDs,elm327s are new territory, fascinating but challenging.

Am having to read Hexadecimal/ASCII and I've not worked out the right PIDs to allow me to read my OCV duty cycle, injector pulse width and Cam Phaser in real time yet. Apparently, it's not possible according to the literature and consensus online yet I have 2 apps that can so the ability is there, there has to be a specific PID and others too presumably.

As for wheels, personally I'd say 16 on 45 or 50 series tyres would be fine but any bigger or lower profile would be self defeating. At the end of the day it's still a road car, used daily on Scottish roads as much in the country as in town.It needs that bit of give from the tyres with the kind of driving I do. Yeah big alloys and ultra low profiles are great for the towns and cities,they're theb ultimate in grip on any Tesco roundabout or track day but they don't warn or forgive on a tight back road. You only know they reached their limits of grip when you come off the road and crashing into the scenery. Whereas the good old 15s or a 16 with a medium/lower profile will talk to you first before suddenly let go and put you through a dry stone !Removed! at stupid speeds.

The really critical factor is the Shell, it's completely solid,totally corrosion free and straight.Everything else can be sorted, modified, upgraded or whatever if the structure itself is fundamentally sound and to be honest I could probably pull together 7 or 8 grand to buy a really good, fast motor that'd I could probably get my money back on in a couple of years but I'll get far more satisfaction from putting half that or less into this car and ending up with something a bit different, not worth a great deal I grant you in pounds and pence but like I said that's just not the point for me and never has been. lol

1 hour ago, fastbob72 said:

Sunbeam,eh. Respect to you there have always fancied a shot of one of those... a Ti or the Lotus?? I was thinking of the kids like 15, 20 years younger with their wee Corsas and A3s that you see on the roads these days...... or maybe it's me at my age thinking they ain't real petrol heads like when I was their age wi my T reg 78 Fiesta, tuned up 1600 Kent, 1100 gearbox, 13 inch Cortina steels on it, all bits from my friendly, local scrappy lol.

Neither, mine started life as a 1.6GLS. They were built locally so parts were easily available (I am sure that some walked out the factory gates - I have a feeling that is where my Lotus alloys came from :wink: ) & it was different from all the Escorts that everyone else had. Gave a few people a surprise as it was a goer & not a show-er. Could get wheelspin in 3rd. :tongue:

Thing is that cars are less user friendly these days for amateur mods as the engines are a lot more complicated.

As for wheels, personally I'd say 16 on 45 or 50 series tyres would be fine but any bigger or lower profile would be self defeating.

Have to watch out for speedo errors if you change the rolling ratio much. I really don't recommend 45 series tyres - it's very noticeable the difference when I swap from my 225/45 R18s onto my 215/55 R17s for winter. I am even considering running 17" Crossclimates all year when these winter tyres wear out...

• Like 1

Yeah it's not like swapping the old VV card on my 1.6 Laser for a twin barrelled weber straight off a 3.0 Granada or 40DCNFs I bought for a fiver off an MG Maestro and made fit my Mk2 XR2. Things are a little more complex nowadays.

The obvious starting point is to take it 143 bhp Celica spec from the standard 127 bhp Avensis.The exhaust manifold and system is a big part of that plus ecu I suspect but basically the same engine in every other way.

Further exhaust improvements, intake improved while keeping factory box and filter. Some mild headwork, blueprinted bottom end, accurately dialed in cam timing, possibly a slight increase in fuel pressure despite being returnless might all make possibly another 10 bhp max if done right.

OK, it's hardly earth shattering but with continued weight reduction where possible it will definitely improve its performance. I would. love to go either the vvtl route or supercharged but then you're talking a full stand alone ecu.With a solid Shell, sorted chassis and a bombproof bottom end it's certainly a possibility and it would certainly be a unique T22 with all that :)

As for wheels, well I couldn't agree more.Ok with 16s or 17s it'd require 45s to bring the overall wheel diameter or turns per mile the same as it is now but it would be too hard a ride on the roads around here,especially with it being lowered already. I've happily kept my stock 15s and have picked up another set to get refurbished in time for new tyres so she'll be staying stock for some time to come.

She'll be staying pretty much as she is over the winter anyway, I'll be concentrating on rebuilding the engine I picked up over the next few months and surviving winter. lol.

What's fascinating me right now as I was saying is the whole business of sending commands and instructions to the ecu. I've got a bluetooth adapter paired with my phone, downloaded or tried nearly every app available .I've got my head around the AT commands, OBD2 modes and generic PIDs but there's a complete lack of information about enhanced PIDs or cracking CAN, particularly when it comes to Toyota.

Toyota more than anybody it seems.OE Toyota ECUs are near impossible to break into and reprogramme except by licenced Toyota dealers.

All the software out there to chip and reflash OE ECUs for Honda, Fords, Audis or whatever all appear to fall down when it comes to Toyota. Their stock ECUs are practically unbreakable, as crazy as it sounds it very much seems to be true but it's fascinating, frustrating as I'm no computer expert so am having to get a handle on machine code etc to follow some of it but it is definitely worth the effort  as I'm now getting to the stage of trying to discover these enhanced PIDs and how logically to configure them, work out the formula to have the ecu respond accurately in real time. Not quite there yet but it's starting to make some real sense now lol

Well, Denso are a Toyota Group company so to a certain extent I guess a lot of stuff is kept "in house" - I am not sure that the same can be said of Ford, GM, VW etc.

Having said that some people seem to have cracked the Denso ECU in the AD diesels about a year ago & can now remap those but it's certainly not as widespread as for Ford, GM, VW etc..

En Denmark the well named tuners, remaps the Toyota D4D Denso ECU's for the last to years. Whit good results,

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links