Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Keyless unlocking issue.

Madtom78

Second Avensis in our house, 2010 t4 and 2013 t spirt,

very happy so so but I have intermediate unlocking issues in the 2013. Any advise or help greatly appreciated!

unlocking on the 2013 with fob or the handle it intermittently will not unlock the drivers side door. It makes a unlocking sound three times and I have to fiddle around with it by locking and unlocking it a few times. As mentioned it only happens a few times every so often.

i can't figure out if its some combination of the way I'm using it or if a physical fault on the handle, locks all the time by the way, I am out of warranty btw as I have exported the car out of the U.K.

any ideas. 

Thanks.

Had a similar thing on my iQ

I have the keyless ignition and door handles that sense your hand to unlock the door. As you say, it tried three times making the correct noises but remains locked. I kind of ignored it for a while leaning across from the passenger side to open the door from the inside handle but then it started doing it on the locking as well. It got so bad in the end that I couldn't lock the door.

I stripped out the lock mechanism from the door and pulled it apart to find it all looked fine inside but the motor that actuates the lock was very dirty and basically, worn out. A couple of new motors from eBay and it's as good as new again. Strange thing is I sorted the drivers door then only 3 weeks later the passenger door started doing exactly the same thing! Good thing I bought two motors.

If you try this you may have to swap over the wires in the plug that feed the motor, My new motors span in reverse to the original ones so when you locked the car it unlocked and vise versa. Simple thing to swap over the cables in the plug though.

Craig.

post-116364-0-87443300-1447622579.jpg

post-116364-0-33075700-1447622591.jpg

post-116364-0-91252000-1450697093.jpg

Thanks for the help. Did you have a parts code or a link to the motor that I may need? I see in you pic there is two Motor on mechanism, Is it best to replace both?

There are two motors in there but I only replaced the one, bigger motor. The smaller motor operates the double lock mechanism. On my car you press the key fob button or the door handle twice to operate this one so it seems to get used less and last longer.

It might be worth taking the lock out first to make sure you have a similar version to this but I ordered these.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401045934052

They are supplied with a longer, completely round shaft and the Toyota ones have a shorter shaft with a flat so you will need to file the flat then cut the shaft down a bit to suit the worm drive. Getting the housing open is also a bit tricky as you have to undo about 20 clips to get it apart.

It sounds and looks complicated but is possible with fairly basic tools.

Craig.

54 minutes ago, craggle said:

There are two motors in there but I only replaced the one, bigger motor. The smaller motor operates the double lock mechanism. On my car you press the key fob button or the door handle twice to operate this one so it seems to get used less and last longer.

It might be worth taking the lock out first to make sure you have a similar version to this but I ordered these.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401045934052

They are supplied with a longer, completely round shaft and the Toyota ones have a shorter shaft with a flat so you will need to file the flat then cut the shaft down a bit to suit the worm drive. Getting the housing open is also a bit tricky as you have to undo about 20 clips to get it apart.

It sounds and looks complicated but is possible with fairly basic tools.

Craig.

Thanks a million! Did yours make a sound like it was trying to unlock? I think it does it 3 times (sound and flashers) and the  sound when I do get it unlocked is more "clunky" prosumably because it actually has unlocked. 

Yep, Exactly the same, tries three times then stops unless you try it again. It knows somehow that it hasn't unlocked / locked so tries three times then gives up. The sound is softer when it fails too as you describe.

The slightly more worrying thing on the iQ is that I could try to lock it, car tries three times on the faulty door to lock it, you them move the keys out the way and try the passenger door, locked, try the boot, locked, try the drivers door, open. Opening it though you'd figure would set the alarm off, Not on my car! It has an alarm siren under the bonnet but I've never heard it so not sure how you get that to work.

Once I had the new motors installed the clunk when locking it or unlocking it is a really good, positive clunk so I think the motors get gradually weaker with age. 

Craig.

17 hours ago, craggle said:

Yep, Exactly the same, tries three times then stops unless you try it again. It knows somehow that it hasn't unlocked / locked so tries three times then gives up. The sound is softer when it fails too as you describe.

The slightly more worrying thing on the iQ is that I could try to lock it, car tries three times on the faulty door to lock it, you them move the keys out the way and try the passenger door, locked, try the boot, locked, try the drivers door, open. Opening it though you'd figure would set the alarm off, Not on my car! It has an alarm siren under the bonnet but I've never heard it so not sure how you get that to work.

Once I had the new motors installed the clunk when locking it or unlocking it is a really good, positive clunk so I think the motors get gradually weaker with age. 

Craig.

Motors ordered and hopefully this may help others in the future, already learnt how to have intermediate wipers from here! 

In the last pic the moter is apart and seems to lack a shaft?

Craig, did you disconnect the Battery to work on it or do I need to, also if I get stuck can I post further here for your help?

thanks.  

Hi There

I didn't bother disconnecting the Battery, no need as you can just pull the plug out the door lock with no ill effects. 

The last photo is the back of the motor showing the brushes and all the black carbon in there, the shaft is there but sticking out the other end.

Feel free to ask any further questions when you get started and I'll try to reply soon as I can. I've turned on notifications for this thread so I get emails when there is a post. 

Craig.

perfect, I'll let you know how I get on and I'll update here too. 

Hey Craig, is it a similar process to this?

https://youtu.be/9Ysg8sYzn7Y

i guess I won't know how it's going to go until I open the door up, on the above link he has to remove the window runner and I am a bit woried  about getting it all back together. 

Hi Tomas

Similar but the lock may differ depending on what car you have. In that video his motor seems to be housed in a separate part of the lock whereas it's inside the main lock on my iQ. 

Once you have the lock out the door you should be able to see what it's like and hopefully figure it out from there.

I have to loosen the widow runner with a single screw and move it out the way but once again, that will depend on the car in question. Hopefully it won't be too complicated to remove.

Craig.

Hi Craig, thanks a million for all the replies and help. After speaking to a friend of mine he informed me the car is still under warranty in the UK, as it happens I am currently having the repair done under warranty by Toyota in Northern Ireland, as of now they stated a faulty drivers side lock which is of course what your good self  diagnosed. The set of motors has not arrived that you recommend so, Hopefully,. After today they will not be needed. Even tho I am good with my hand, trade worked by trade, I was a bit worried in case I could not put the part and door back together properly. So if you or any one on this reading this needs the motor I will send it in the you, or them, FOC in the hope it will sort a fellow member out. 

Thanks Craig. 

Tom.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links