Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1981 Hiace potential purchase, stuck throttle?

RhodyM20

Hello everyone,

I am a new member from the US. Longtime classic BMW owner who has stumbled upon a 1981 Toyota Hiace in the USA. It was imported from Panama by a member of the military. I am considering buying it but have a concern: the seller claims the throttle is stuck open, and he does not know what causes it. He has not driven it since this condition developed.

Due to the rural location of the seller, a pre-inspection is not possible (and he is located several states away from me). The Hiace has the 2.2L diesel "L" engine and I am trying to determine what my potential for any damage might be due to the stuck throttle issue. Even if the seller turned the van off right away, I'm concerned about the potential for internal engine issues.

What do you think? Are there any major risks with this engine or is it fairly durable? Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,

Jeff

HI Jeff, my townace has the same problem, approx every 2 months. Unhitch the cable from the pump hold it upright and dribble oil down it. Also put oil on the pump spring mechanism. It gets hot & dry & this causes the problem. Not much to worry about and easy to fix. Cheers.

David

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2016 at 2:19 AM, davidgoalcon said:

HI Jeff, my townace has the same problem, approx every 2 months. Unhitch the cable from the pump hold it upright and dribble oil down it. Also put oil on the pump spring mechanism. It gets hot & dry & this causes the problem. Not much to worry about and easy to fix. Cheers.

David

David,

i apologize for the delay in responding. The seller did mention a spring mechanism that he was trying to adjust - this, perhaps, is what he was talking about! 

Will give this a look. Thank you.

Jeff

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links