Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gearbox whine?

James Turner

Hello,  I have just bought a Toyota avensis from main dealer. There seems to be a slight whine from the gearbox on overdrive at 50 - 60 miles an hour. Has anybody else noticed this? The car has done 40000 miles. Any thoughts would be appreciated...

is it definitely the gear box, wheel bearings whine and sometimes uneven tyres give a similar noise, get it jacked up on all and get someone to drive it whilst in air-

• Like 2

17 hours ago, James Turner said:

Hello,  I have just bought a Toyota avensis from main dealer. There seems to be a slight whine from the gearbox on overdrive at 50 - 60 miles an hour. Has anybody else noticed this? The car has done 40000 miles. Any thoughts would be appreciated...

27 minutes ago, avensisd4d786 said:

is it definitely the gear box, wheel bearings whine and sometimes uneven tyres give a similar noise, get it jacked up on all and get someone to drive it whilst in air-

When you bought the car, did it come with any warranty? I would go back to them and check sales of goods act.  

"I" (avensisd4d786) has covered all the things I have experienced, including testing the car with the wheels in the air. Add faulty tyres. Increase the tyre pressure and if the noise goes away, there is your culprit. To confirm the test lower the pressure of the suspected tyre and the noise increases. 

On a clear road with no traffic (very hard to find these days), dip the clutch and coast to see if the noise stops. Also put it in neutral.

If it is the wheel bearing, then it is a complete unit so after removing the wheels, brakes, maybe disconnecting the ABS sensor just swap the bearing hub.

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2009/avensis/zrt271r-awfepw/2_273560_041_410W/powertrain-chassis/4303_front-axle-hub#43501C

Not press is needed, but the cost of the hub is really high!

The worst case scenario, is the gearbox if all the other tests prove negative. Then I definitely would go back to the dealer.

How loud and what is the pitch of the whine. I assume the car is a manual 6 speed. So is the noise in 5th and 6th?  

Whine is in 5th and 6th gear. It's not loud but none of my other cars have ever done it. Dealer is an hour and a half away but for peace of mind I will take it to my local dealer I think. Thanks for your help 

Hi James, sorry to hear the news in your other post - 

I am shocked a car with only 40,000 miles, has a gearbox failure already! My old 1998 Mk1 did over 3 times the distance before the gearbox needed overhauling. Your car must have been abused in such a short time. Is your car the Tourer (estate) version, and is there a tow bar fitted. Also check the MOT history and any previous certificates if you have them to confirm the mileage. Any dealer history?

When I bought my car last year, I did go on the motorway to listen for any unusual noises and to feel the car.

You are unlucky to buy that particular car, and since you got it from the dealer, they should fix the car or you get a refund. Reject the car. There are plenty around.

To be honest I am more annoyed at the reaction of the dealer. A supposedly Toyota approved car should gave been properly checked over, that is why I paid a premium for it. They are now mending it and putting a new clutch in.

Will highlight this with Toyota uk

No tow bar, given the condition if the car it's been driven by somebody who slips the clutch!

Good that they are doing the job and I hope at no cost to you. Since the clutch is being replaced, they better put a new slave cylinder too! The reason is unlike previous cars which has the slave cylinder outside the housing, the version on the Mk3 is concentric and internal. It surrounds the gearbox input shaft.

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2008/avensis/zrt271r-awfepw/2_273560_041_410W/powertrain-chassis/3105_clutch-release-cylinder 

If it had to be changed the transmission has to be removed. Best to do it all in one go.

Ask for all the parts they change. 

5 minutes ago, Konrad C said:

Ask for all the parts they change. 

If it is done under warranty, the warranty company may well want the parts as part of the audit trail.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

If it is done under warranty, the warranty company may well want the parts as part of the audit trail.

Thanks Mike. I did not think of that, but it makes sense.

So the work will be classified as warranty work or they are doing the work off their own back, since the car supposed have been approved?  

2 minutes ago, Konrad C said:

Thanks Mike. I did not think of that, but it makes sense.

So the work will be classified as warranty work or they are doing the work off their own back, since the car supposed have been approved?  

Think it depends what warranty the car came with - as it was Approved (see earlier post  

presumably it comes with a formal warranty as outlined on the following  http://usedcars.toyota.co.uk/approvedbenefits.aspx?wflw=se_na_ap_vi&idx=0

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links