Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Coasting in neutral or in gear?

Mat121

Good morning all,

I just bought a 2015 1.33l Dual VVT-I 6MT Toyota Yaris and I was just wondering what is the smartest way to save some fuel by putting your car into neutral or leaving it in gear. I know some cars have a fuel-cut feature but I'm not quite sure about this one. 

Thanks. 

35 minutes ago, mrpj said:

A minimal amount of fuel is used with the accelerator at zero so why even consider the dangerous and unadviseable practice of coasting in neutral?

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/hybrid-electric/a5977/coasting-in-neutral-fuel-economy/

Not advised.....

Just recently http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3741536/Driver-21-killed-three-friends-coasted-hill-neutral-save-petrol-trip-McDonald-s.html

Yeah because that accident apparently had everything to do with coasting in neutral, nothing with either that being a sh*tty excuse or not being able to drive very well at all..

I will occasionally coast but you don't save gas on it so it's just about keeping your speed towards a right turning green light or something similar.

Legalities may be different in your country, but in the UK coasting in neutral may be illegal as one won't be in full control of the vehicle - so don't assume what may apply where you live, applies elsewhere. See the following extract from the UK Government's Highway Code:

Rule 122

Coasting. This term describes a vehicle travelling in neutral or with the clutch pressed down. It can reduce driver control because

• engine braking is eliminated
  • vehicle speed downhill will increase quickly
  • increased use of the footbrake can reduce its effectiveness
  • steering response will be affected, particularly on bends and corners
  • it may be more difficult to select the appropriate gear when needed.

4 hours ago, eiriksmil said:

Yeah because that accident apparently had everything to do with coasting in neutral, nothing with either that being a sh*tty excuse or not being able to drive very well at all..

There's no excuse for traveling 40mph down a steep windy road, but I do believe if he had been in a low gear, then the speed would have been far lower and controlled due to engine braking.

It's something we were taught in the forces whilst driving Land Rovers across difficult terrain. It becomes even more important to use engine braking in wet and snowy conditions. They should extensively include it in learner driver training and as part of the test.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Justhandguns said:

Tragic accident. I'm really surprised to learn that someone would still do this in 2016, thought it was a practice from way back.

The Auris CVT box offers very little engine braking, it just means using more brakes going downhill. Our old Corolla with a proper automatic box and the Sport (ie low ratio) button mounted on the shifter was brilliant, it made you slow down almost like a manual. One of my wife's friends saw her using it and said That's wonderful, you just press a button and the brakes come on! 

@fordulike - In a way it is; You are taught this when learning (Well, I was anyway!) and it'd be an instant fail if you were moving in neutral at any time other than in between changing gears.

The most ironic thing about coasting in neutral is that it doesn't even really save any fuel; The engine is still pumping fuel to keep the tickover going, and in a petrol that's where it's most inefficient as it has to work against the full force of the throttle vacuum!

If you're coasting *in* gear and the engine's above ~1000rpm, the ECU notices what's going on and cuts the fuel pump until the rpm drops below that. (Or you push the accelerator or the clutch, so don't rest your foot on either of those while doing this or it doesn't work; You should be covering the brakes anyway!)

@Tom - I use my aircon button like that :laugh:

11 hours ago, Bomber209 said:

It's against the law. Check your Highway Code.

No it's not.

"Many of the rules in the Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. .... Such rules are identified by the use of the words ‘MUST/MUST NOT’."

The section on coasting, quoted further up, does not include the MUST/NOT - there is no law prohibiting it.

5 hours ago, Cyker said:

@Tom - I use my aircon button like that :laugh:

I hear you mate, my daughter had a VW Fox diesel non-turbo and you could only use the air con going downhill. It was the old Freon system and went sub-zero when blowing.

It's whatever what's ever the best for the situation!

I've just come back from a the West country and shoved it into neutral so I could give my right foot a waggle on the approach to Clevedon (Westbound). However, if you want some engine braking you have to shove it into gear.

Bear in mind, the engine fuel injection cuts off below around 1500 RPM

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links