Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No ABS warning light

jonjosar

My daughter has a 2003 1.0 Yaris. We've had the car for 4 years and it has went through the mot every time no problem.

This time, the car has failed for an ABS fault. The ABS appears to not be working and there is no check system when the car is started. ( No ABS light in dashboard)

I have taken the car to a trusted independent and he states that he can find no faults with the actual system. The light has not been "blanked off" nor has the bulb been removed.

He has removed the dashboard and can get the light to operate by bringing an earth to it. The live is fine.

Anyone come across this before or have any ideas?

When you say "he can find no faults with the actual system" do you mean the ABS system (which would conflict with your para 2, sentence 2) or just the dash light circuit?

There's a thread where one member say "On my Yaris there isn't a dedicated TRC light or ABS light all I have is a slip indicator which is a combination of TRC EBS ABS and VSC"

Check out http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/172766-aggressive-traction-control/#comment-1414661

He can find no faults in the actual ABS system. There are no codes or warnings on his reader.

The MOT tester failed the car because the system did not go through its self test when switched on, ie, the ABS warning light in the dashboard did not illuminate for that short period at the beginning and then go out. In fact, there has never been a light on it since we got the car. The car does appear to have ABS as its got an ABS pump and he cab get the light to come on by bringing an earth to the bulb circuit so there is a warning light fitted but it just doesnt show.

TomdeGuerre,

Thanks for the lead but i think the car is too old to have anything that complicated on it. This is a bog standard French built Colour Collection with the 1 litre 4 cylinder engine in it.

I believe when I looked at a Colour Collection car, it had no ABS fitted..

According to the model history of the Honest John review, ABS and EBD were introduced from May 2003 across all models of the Yaris. So depending when the car was built and first registered, It may or may not have ABS.

22 hours ago, jonjosar said:

The car does appear to have ABS as its got an ABS pump and he cab get the light to come on by bringing an earth to the bulb circuit so there is a warning light fitted but it just doesnt show.

The dash may be common to cars in the range that do have ABS, so the presence of the bulb isn't conclusive.

24 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

According to the model history of the Honest John review, ABS and EBD were introduced from May 2003 across all models of the Yaris. So depending when the car was built and first registered, It may or may not have ABS.

I'd suggest the OP PMs the VIN and registration to Parts-King and asks him to check the build info for what the car actually has.

Thanks to everyone for the pointers. Its definitely fitted with ABS, the pump is on the passenger side behind the Battery.

I'll check with Mr T and see what they say about standard fitment but its a very early 2003 as its got the earlier type headlights.

Also try to activate the abs system. I.e find a quiet straight  road with no cars and take the car to around 20mph and apply the brake sharply to see if the car skid or feel the pulsating on the brake. 

The Passenger compartment fusebox   GAUGE 10A covers the ABS. So check the fuse.

It also covers aircon,central locking and warning lights.

9 hours ago, Perfection said:

Also try to activate the abs system. I.e find a quiet straight  road with no cars and take the car to around 20mph and apply the brake sharply to see if the car skid or feel the pulsating on the brake. 

A wet grass surface would probably give you a better indication.

Thanks guys. ABS is definitely not working. I couldnt get the pump to activate. When i read madasafish's post, i remembered central locking hasnt worked in a while and i thought, "Bingo" so I  checked the 10 amp fuse and its fine unfortunately.

There is also a 60 amp ABS fuse in the fusebox under the bonnet and it is also ok. Its all pointing to a wiring problem or the actual pump is defective.

It goes back into the garage this week so hopefully they will get to the cause of it.

2 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

A wet grass surface would probably give you a better indication.

I have done that before! It's really scary!