Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

55 plate E12 Corolla Brake Pads

Cookeh

Dear All,

My brake pads are getting to the point where I'm going to replace them, but I'm having  spot of trouble identifying what pads I should be getting. From looking at the pads online I can see I have two options, one named as "Lucas" and one named as "Akebono", both of which have different shapes, but both of which apparently fit my car based on the standard reg search on ECP/AndrewPage/etc.

In terms of brand to go for I'm set on either Mintex for the budget price, Bosch for the OEM replacement, or Pagid for the extra performance. So which is the correct set for me and does anyone have any experience with any of the brands?

Ordinarily I would just take the wheel off and look but I dont have a jack or axle stads (or flat ground!) at my student house and will only be able to borrow my parents drive and equipment for 2 hours next Sun so naturally I need to have the parts to hand in advance! Okay, spiel over! :biggrin:

E120 Corolla Colour Collection, 55 plate,1.4 4ZZ-FE

Thanks in advance,

Cookeh

I have used Mintex, greenstuff, yellowstuff, and Pagid and Blueprint, on both my cars Yaris SR 1.3 and Corolla t3 1.6 over the years and I still track both cars now and they have all been fine for that so all good for the road.

Think you are mixed up with the brake types,  as far as I know is a choice of Lucas /TWR or Aisin.

Also do not know there is a certain way of knowing which type you have short of a visual inspection.

If you look at the caliper body you should  typically see the makers marks, on mine its stamped Toyota TWR which means Lucas.

Are Bosch pads the actual originals ??   Always saw ECP /Pagids as semi budget, only used them once and they were squealers !

Everyone has their favourite, mine are Ferodo, as I have a good local stockist of them.

If you see this site its shows the two types of calipers, so you might be able to identify your type from just the picture, by looking though the spokes of the alloys ..?

http://brakeparts.co.uk/#!/shop/TOYOTA/COROLLA/02-07/COROLLA ZE120 1.4 16V VVTI/Front - Brake Calipers and Wheel cylinders

On mine the braking system is made by Lucas but the caliper is made by pagid and my system apart from my disc's and pads are still original Toyota.

It's a mine field brakes. Before I got mine I did research after research. Youtube, Google etc. You name it! 

DC Performance were brilliant when I ordered mine. Black Diamond race pads all round. Only done 200 miles so not really bedded in yet. Really good from cold though. Just use say them for sizes etc. Type in your reg and see what come up 

Also thrown Ferodo into the mix and that has further complicated everything. Their catalogue implies that the only parts that fit my car are named the Akebono set, but on all other websites I've looked at there is no Akebono option for the rear... Black Diamond suggest I need Aisin on the front, but no other company has come up with that braking system before. This is becoming a real pain in the rear.

Might have to find a parking lot somewhere and use a scissor jack to look at the pads front and rear, measure them and go from there.

If the calipers are stock, you could also get a Toyota garage to quote for parts and use that part number to figure out what parts you need.

All you have to do is put your steering on full lock, using your toyota jack just whip the wheel off  and the calipers face should be clearly exposed so you can check for the makers stamps without have to put yourself under the car / at risk; until then you  really have no idea which type you need.

If you go to most motor parts shops or motor factors depots, regardless of the reg or vin number they almost always ask what make the brake parts are; its a common problem getting the wrong ones.

Have not gone looking around the web for Akebono , which seem to be a US based company ?? cannot see the connection to Ferodo ?

The ferodo pads I use on my lucas brakes are code FDB1573 and rears 1574, even showing on Amazon or eBay, though not many.

Sorry, regarding Lucas/Akebono/Aisin/etc these are the "braking system" names, as opposed to a brand.  As I say codger, its looking like I will indeed be doing that.

Right, took the wheels off and both calipers have Toyota TRW on them, which I presume means Lucas. Thanks for your help guys, and apologies for the confusion/stupidity!

3 hours ago, Cookeh said:

Right, took the wheels off and both calipers have Toyota TRW on them, which I presume means Lucas.

Yup, Lucas is part of the TRW group, those Ferodo codes will probably be the same for your 1.4 petrol  as my 1.6, think the brakes are identical.

Those Breck pads from Brake International seems decent.

3 hours ago, Cookeh said:

and apologies for the confusion/stupidity!

Don't worry. it only get worse with age, I should know !! :laugh::laugh:

• 1 year later...
On 28/08/2016 at 9:46 AM, oldcodger said:

Think you are mixed up with the brake types,  as far as I know is a choice of Lucas /TWR or Aisin.

If you look at the caliper body you should  typically see the makers marks, on mine its stamped Toyota TWR which means Lucas.

Signed up to say thank you for this post.  This is just the kind of info I needed!  I could have spent hours trying to work out whether I had a Akebono or Lucas breaking system on my car if it didn't say Lucas somewhere obvious on it.  TWR would have stumped me for sure.  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links