Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Exhaust Blowing

dukeofspace

Hi All,

Just gone to visit relatives, got half way there and could hear the exhaust blowing. Stopped off and couldn't see anything obvious from under the bonnet or from under the back of the car. Drove straight home with all windows open, had a look with a torch when on the driveway. Noise seems to be coming from the section from the manifold to the middle muffler box. The rear section looks a lot newer than the middle, so may have been replaced at some time.

As it's bank holiday everywhere seems to be closed or on limited hours, so a bit stuck for getting the car onto a ramp to take a proper look. Kiki fit are open but only got a tyre fitter in until Tuesday. Anyone else experienced this, and any rough ideas as to how much either the fast fit centres, or local garages would (or should) charge for this?

Not inclined to do stuff like this any more due to painful knees bought on by old age... Just wondering how many of my "grey pounds" I will end up parting with... Car is Avensis 1.8 vvti auto, 2001.

Many thanks in advance for member's thoughts or answers.

Duke.

That section is covered here

http://www.onlineautomotive.co.uk/Toyota_Avensis_Exhaust System.aspx

The main difficulty is whether the front pipe can be replaced without compromising the Cat section. You may then have to factor in that too. Note that interface between the manifold and the front pipe is 'spring-loaded' and sealed with a dealer only part known as a doughnut. Without further checking you can't confirm whether this seal has failed.

I wouldn't expect you'll see much change from £150 but even that is only a guess. 

• Like 1