Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hi!

EngelskJente

New driver, passed in a Yaris Hybrid, stood to reason that I would buy one for myself. Not all singing and all dancing like the one I learnt in - I have to actually remember to turn lights on and off and figure out what to do when it rains, rather than have the car tell me when it rains - but I am super happy with the car I chose, it already feels like mine and "fits".

I just thought I'd introduce myself as I just joined the club.

Hi, I am Joanne. Yaris Hybrid owner, would have said driver but that seems too new for me at the moment, and looking forward to seeing what is going on in these forums. :-)

Hello Joanne - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

• Like 1

Hi Joanne and welcome.

Glad to hear you are pleased with your car, we have a 2013 Yaris hybrid in the family.

Also have an 2010 Auris hybrid, which i have had for 12 months now.

There are a good number of hybrid owners kicking around here, should you have any questions to ask.

:biggrin:

• Like 1

Hi Anthony! Thanks!!

I mean I liked the one I learnt in but this one called to me and yes, has treated me well so far. I passed my test, now I need to learn how to drive - and park in a bay, that is something they need to make sure you can do before sending you on a test... but that's a different story. ;-)

My instructor recommended an Auris but I couldn't afford one, so my little supermini bundle of joy will have to do for now. ;-)

Thanks again for taking the time to stop by. :-)

The only difference between the Auris and the Yaris is, the little joystick compared to the standard automatic gear lever and the auras has a PWR button.

Do you have the reversing camera?

I'm sure you will get the hang of everything soon enough, 

• Like 1

Hi, yes, I made sure I got the one with the reversing camera.

Was also sold as having satnav - it did not, alas. Then again navigation has never really been the issue, I did like the speed limit reminders in the driving school car though! I mean it has the satnav button, so that's something - at least the parking camera works. ;-)

I like the design of the gear lever in the Yaris, although the Auris one is cute. :-)

I'm sure I'll get there. On my 1st trip out on my own, I went up the road and back to a supermarket.
Day 2 I went where the road took me and ended up in Ikea which was an experience (the drive around the Croydon area, not Ikea.) My 3rd day out on my own? Central London. Why not?

Today was day 4 on my own and I didn't go far, just ran an errand, but as you said, I'll get there. I'll do the longer trips with experienced drivers for company, but I can't expect great things to happen straight away. ;-)

I was finding some of the stuff in the forums here invaluable, even before I actually bought the car that I chose.

I also found it useful to learn from others about the good and bad points about hybrids.

I only went for a test drive, to find out what it was like to drive. Ended up putting a deposit down the same day.

• Like 1

So the next game you might play is, seeing how long you can keep the car running in Electric only. My Auris is supposed to be good for half a mile according to the book, but there are a few tips to extend that and make it last a lot longer. :-)

51 minutes ago, Anthony Poli said:

So the next game you might play is, seeing how long you can keep the car running in Electric only. 

I mean right now my game is "get from A to B without killing myself or anyone else" but sure, I can play the electric game when I am more comfortable. :-P

The fact that this was in the sales yard for a while, with the boot opened a crack, meant that the Battery drained completely and they had to jump it for my test drive, which was quite entertaining - but I think now it's calming down a little - it's had petrol, a few runs out and a bit of TLC - so I seem to be hearing the engine noise a lot less frequently... it's all fun! :-)

Congrats! :biggrin:

As my instructor told me, now that you've passed your test and gotten a licence, THIS is when you really learn to drive!! :laugh:

• Like 1

Thanks. Definitely a learning curve. Only took 2 attempts to get into a parking spot earlier - my parallel parking rocks but bay never came up in the test - and yep my building has a parking lot with (barely marked) bays. At least a "last 2 bits of a 3 point turn" will be ok to get me out of there. ;-)

I'll get there and the car is helping my comfort levels - although the steering felt a little looser today? I'll monitor that next time I can get out!!