Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlight Recall R/2016/169

Jim45

I have a phone app called Digital Garage, where you enter details of your vehicle to keep a record of it's history and it also informs you of any other useful information such as manufacturer recalls.

This morning I had a notification to say that Toyota had issued a recall on 25.08.16  number R/2016/169 OEM ref:CGG54, this states

"Defect: Headlamps manufactured to the incorrect specification may have been fitted and may not distribute light properly 

Remedy: on affected vehicles replace headlamp units."

There is no mention of this on the government recall site or on the Toyota recall checker, but this is maybe why my dealer phoned me some 10 days ago to book my car in for a headlight change as I had complained to Toyota via their blog.

Anyone else any further information?

• Like 1

Well, not actual information, just another data point. 

Went into my dealer just yesterday to ask whether my car qualified for better lights under Service Bulletin BE-0058T-0515. Dealer most helpful and muttered something to the effect that there was ALSO to be a recall for some cars/lights but that he didn't have the details yet. 

He was however mystified that the part number labelled onto my headlights "doesn't seem to exist on my system". I'm to be told once they've worked out what is going on. 

My visit to the dealer was prompted by a disconcerting lack of close-up side visibility while making a walking speed very tight right turn in an unlit country lane ... in the meantime I'll just use the foglights in such a situation. 

Just to note - you've quoted different recall numbers (R-2016/169 and R/2016/69).

If it is a recall, rather than a customer service campaign, and the date of 25/08/16 is correct, it is probably too early to appear on the DVSA website and Toyota's recall checker.

• 1 month later...

Just called my local dealer Jemca (Croydon) and they said they've don't go by Techical Service Bulletins. They only go by Campaign Numbers (new term to me).Wouldn't lookup TSB reference or the government website. They just said my Toyota Auris TSH has got no recalls attached to it. But they've booked the car in to have a look at it.

6 minutes ago, firehorse said:

Just called my local dealer Jemca (Croydon) and they said they've don't go by Techical Service Bulletins. They only go by Campaign Numbers (new term to me).Wouldn't lookup TSB reference or the government website. They just said my Toyota Auris TSH has got no recalls attached to it. But they've booked the car in to have a look at it.

Presumably as the recall is for cars built up to 31st May 2015, this affects pre-facelift cars - http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=D51C1FBC8DD1103F80257FF40026433F&freeText=Blank&tx=&utm_source=ToyotaOwnersClub&utm_medium=ForumLinks

One can use Toyota's recall checker to check whether one's vehicle is affected by recalls or voluntary service campaign - https://www.toyota.co.uk/caring-for-your-toyota/owners/recall-checker.json#/iframe/https%3A%2F%2Fforms.toyota.co.uk%2Frecall-checker%3F_ga%3D1.242434754.1725029656.1477392463

I called Toyota head office, the person I talked to took down all the details and reference numbers and they are going to look into it :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

So, the recall does not affect my chassis number. The DVSA said it only affect 14 cars. The person at the dealership said "reading between the lines, someone has probably fitted left hand drive lights into the car.". They don't get any information about the Technical Service Bulletin. The Auris has projection lights and it has been designed that way. Toyota would probably put priority on seeing 75m ahead on a motorway than turning in a country lane. It costs a £2000 premium for discharge lights so they are not on Aurises. Discharge lights are on some Priuses but they see them about 2 in every 100. The dealer checked the lights, they would pass an MOT and are working as per specification.

I guess its back to using foglights down country lanes.

Hi 

Don't know if of any help but I contacted my dealer over poor headlights and they are fitting a conversion kit that toyota issued for customers having this problem mine is Sep 2013 model

On 03/11/2016 at 2:45 PM, firehorse said:

So, the recall does not affect my chassis number.

On 25/10/2016 at 11:50 AM, FROSTYBALLS said:
24 minutes ago, Jtustin said:

Don't know if of any help but I contacted my dealer over poor headlights and they are fitting a conversion kit that toyota issued for customers having this problem mine is Sep 2013 model

The Auris received its mid life facelift in the Summer of 2015. The recall affects cars built between 1st October 2012 and 31st May 2015 - which are pre-facelift models.

Presumably if the chassis number is outside of the affected vehicles, the 2015 Auris is post facelift, which, as far as I'm aware, has a different design headlight to the pre-facelift.

Hi,

Mine is March 2015. The dealer said the lights were operating as per specification and there was no recall or anything to do with my particular chassis number. The DVSA notice does say only 14 vehicles are affected.

I don't know what else to say to them to have them fit headlights that provide more side illumination.

16 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The Auris received its mid life facelift in the Summer of 2015. The recall affects cars built between 1st October 2012 and 31st May 2015 - which are pre-facelift models.

Presumably if the chassis number is outside of the affected vehicles, the 2015 Auris is post facelift, which, as far as I'm aware, has a different design headlight to the pre-facelift.

Strange. Mine is 31st March 2015. Recall goes up to 31st May 2015 so I'm in the date range.

But on the vehicle description printout - I spotted the abbrevations "pan fac". Pan is panoramic sunroof, but I didn't know what "fac" so I asked and the dealer said "facelift"!

So I have facelift model registered in 31st March 2015!

Now I'm more confused than before :blink:

• 1 month later...

Have an early 2015 HSD (pre-facelift) in Spain - took it in for its 30,000kms service last week, and was asked to bring it in again today for replacement headlights (and a new steering column and associated parts - they pointed out there was excess play in the assembly). Never found either was a problem