Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2006 Corolla verso 2.2 d4d engine fans not working

Danny1984

Hi all

realised last few days that on my 2006 2.2 d4d, iv never heard the engine cooling fans come on, so I have made an effort to check every time I pull over somewhere and they never seem to come on at all??....

iv not had any engine temperature warnings come on, but engine bay does seem really hot, can barely touch the coolant bottle it's so hot.

is this likely to be a relay?? Where is the relay?? And how can I check the relay??

In my 1.8 VVTI you can hear the fan from a mile, it does come on quite often but the engine never overheats. Have you checked the fuses in the instructions? I've been looking for relay lists myself recently due to other issues, so can't really tell you which one to check.

In regards to testing relays, i've never done it myself, but read about a 9v Battery and bulb testing, which is very easy apparently...

Thanks for reply m4h00

iv not checked any relays or fuses, I'm not even sure what ones are for what?... 

Is the relay in the engine bay on the passenger side??

Im confused how the engine has not overheated at all...

There are quite a few fuse boxes around the car but i'm guessing the fan one will be under the bonnet somewhere. Relays, like i said, car manual does bot cover them, so unless someone knows which one it is specifically... Relays are located in at least 3 places in my car. Have you got your original manual?

Ok, today iv checked fan fuses and all ok, couldn't work out where the relay for fans were?...

i decided to put the air con on today and both fans started up....

as soon as the air con is turned off the fans stop and won't come on to cool the engine.

does this sound like a temp sensor or something???

Fans should come on with the air con so that's all good.  Other than that the fans should only kick in when the radiator needs cooled - is tye temp gauge running high?

Alan I have no engine temperature gauge on dash?? Just have a cold sign that goes after driving for ten mins.

i have just noticed the fans definately don't come on during any length of driving and the coolant bottle gets too hot to even touch!

they only come on if a/c is on, there must be an engine temp sensor that kicks them in or something but I'm just guessing....

Does no one else have any ideas on any sensors that tell the fans to run during driving??

Danny, it's good practice to run the a/c continuously as it keeps the seals in good nick and prevents the system leaking. Pressing the auto button on my 2008 D4D SR's climate control panel enables the a/c. 

I only hear the engine fans start up if I'm stuck in traffic on a hot day, or doing an awkward parking manoeuvre. 10 minutes until the blue light on the dash goes out is what mine does, so seems normal. I've never seen my temp light go red, so if yours doesn't either then I think you're probably OK.

• 2 years later...
On 9/11/2016 at 10:05 PM, Danny1984 said:

Does no one else have any ideas on any sensors that tell the fans to run during driving??

Hello danny, have you sorted the problem with the fans? Cheers

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links