Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris drivers Mat excessive wear

Packard

I have a 2013 Auris touring, however supplied from main dealer within 2k miles (motorway), the drivers Mat is wearing thin already !  Vs my previous verso that chalked up 50k miles it didn't show any wear.

Does anyone else have the same or use a non genuine custom fit that doesn't wear out and look like a tatty mess.

i emailed Toyota and got 

"Thank you for your email which has been referred to Head Office.

Our Contact Centre were correct to advise you to speak to your local Toyota Centre as they could have a look at the carpet mat in question.  Fundamentally, we do not have any inherent issues with their quality.  However, if the wear is premature, and is confirmed by a Toyota Centre, they can submit a warranty claim if they are less than one year old.

Ultimately, it is the Toyota Centre network who are our technical eyes and ears and our expectation is that they are best placed to view the mat in question and determine if it needs to be replaced because it has prematurely worn or if it is down to fair wear and tear/general usage.

In respect of supplier these mats as a single unit.  We took the decision to offer the customer more choice.  Therefore, it would allow the customer the option to purchase either a full set or the mats individually, based on their own specific requirements.

I trust this answers and addresses your questions"

is is anyone else having this problem, a smart car looks tatty in the inside, I note the Yaris mats (2012) on family members car is also doing the same.

I have searched avidly on here as I thought there was a post - but alas I couldn't find it,

The following thread is pinned at the start of the Auris club -

One should be able to purchase the single drivers mat from one's dealer, by sending Parts-King a personal message detailing your vehicle (reg.no as a minimum), or the Official Toyota Store on eBay.

Alternatively one can purchase a complete set from someone like UK Car mats - www.ukcarmats.co.uk - whose parent company, Calibre Auto Parts, make OE tailored mat sets for the likes of Nissan, Mercedes, etc -   http://www.ukcarmats.co.uk/collections/toyota

• Like 1

Thanks on my email to them was my point they admit they must have a problem vs old materials due to them sending them singularly, but after 8 weeks a a hole appears I was majorly annoyed.

thanks re other company . 

15 minutes ago, Packard said:

Thanks on my email to them was my point they admit they must have a problem vs old materials due to them sending them singularly, but after 8 weeks a a hole appears I was majorly annoyed

Not necessarily an admittance of an issue. Offering single mats is a cost effective way drivers can replace the mat that gets most wear, without having to fork out around £50'ish for a complete new set, and these aren't just for the current range (the IQ for example).

There are occasionally posts which complain about the quality of mats, but these are relatively few and relate to older models as well as newer models.

• Like 2

^^ thanks having a Toyota family of cars in our family the quality is varying the carpet mats in an 12' Yaris have worn horribly like the Auris, then the versos lasted and lasted...

At one time Toyota offered two qualities of mat - standard and 'luxury'. I had the higher quality in my 2009 and 2012 Auris. Perhaps the higher quality ones wear better.

• 4 weeks later...

This seems to be a problem with hybrids in particular as my 2008 mk2 prius had this issue   and also developed holes in the heel pad I can only summarise it's the way in which hybrids are driven  with your  feet being on the mat in a certain position, prior to this car I had never encountered this problem my new Auris I have only had a few weeks so wil have  to see how this one goes

I

Edited by Jtustin
Spelling errors

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, I feel very 6-9 mo this I will add £15 to running costs to replace the Mat... annoying ..

A number of years ago Cannon Rubber sold their Cannon Heel Guard which was designed to be placed on the carpet/carpet mat and used to protect the carpet/mat. We bought one for each car and still use them to date (though we have replaced the carpeted surface on the heel guard with rubber). Think we first used them in the two new Mazdas we bought on the same day (a 323 1.6 and a Premacy1.8) in 2003. One's heels hold them in place, and although they can move, are heavy enough (being approx 1.5cm thick rubber) not to be a hindrance to the pedals, etc.

Nearest thing I've come across since is  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-heel-mat-rubber-pad-for-drivers-car-carpet-mat-/172227596225?hash=item2819908fc1:g:1UIAAOSwvg9XUBT5

Cannon-Automotive-Heel-Protector-Rubber-Car-Mat.jpg

Blimey cannon that brings back some memories, I remember driving an old Porsche that had one of these and the bleeping thing came loose and went rather close to the accelerator pedal.

I think the quality of the mats supplied with today's new Toyota's are not a patch on the mats that were supplied years ago. My 2012 Avensis drivers side mat had a hole in after only 18 months and 12k milage. Compare this to my 95 carina and 02 corolla, they were of far better quality and lasted many years. Probably to do with cost savings. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links