Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Water in the Footwell

imp566

Hello, Over the past month or so, my wife has noticed the occasional drip of water from under the glove box dripping into the footwell.  As she is inclined to do, she hasn't mentioned this until yesterday, when that "drip, drip, drip" turned into a larger amount of water, literally running down.  I checked the footwell and it is obvious that it has been happening a while, the mat is really quite damp.  I am suspecting something to do with the Air Con as it hasn't been raining recently.  Anyone got any thoughts?

First check under the bonnet that the drain channel running in front of the wipers is not blocked with leaves/debris. There are a number of obvious drain holes in it and these should be free.

Does the moisture in the cabin smell or it it coloured? (Blot it up with white newspaper and check for colour). If coloured and the same colour as the coolant, you have a coolant leak.. (You may smell something - or may not depending one the type of anti freeze. The original Toyota Long life is reddish pink.).

Thanks, I'll have a look.  Pretty sure it is clear liquid though.  I'll check for obvious signs of blockages as well.

OK, so no sign of any blockages.  When my wife drove the car yesterday, she turned off the Air Con.  Result no dripping water.  So it seems to point to a fault with the Air Con to me.  Anyone have a view on what that might be?

In warm humid conditions the evaporator (the bit of the aircon that is in the heater casing) condenses moisture out. This water should drain into a pipe leading out the bottom of the car (enter panicked people seeing water puddling under their car at the supermarket).

These pipes often get plugged with gunge which means the water then has to find another way out of the heater casing, usually into the car under the dash.

The quick and dirty solution is to get under the car, find the end of the drain and rod it with a piece of wire. How long that'll do for depends on other factors - the best solution is to access the chamber with the evaporator and give that and the drain a thorough clean and demoulding .... but that's a big job.

It was indeed a blocked pipe - all sorted now, 2 and a half litres of water drained away and pipe thoroughly cleaned!  Thanks for the help.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links