Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine cranks slowly and won't start first time

hambleton1

Hi All,

My 2010 Avensis TR won't start the first time. The engine will crank slowly but it takes a few tries to get it started, the Battery has been checked and is fine. Any ideas?

Thanks.

If the Battery has been checked and is fully charged I would check the starter motor if it's failing it will draw massive current giving problems starting

Petrol or diesel?as grey said could be the starter.and could be the Battery although you had it checked out did you check it when the car was off and not ran for a bit? Check for drain by removing the negative term and put a meter between the negative Battery term and negative lead.make sure everything it closed and switched off check what the reading is.

Hi guys, this topic was started by my son on my behalf so to give you a better picture of what's happening . 

Went out the other day in the car and parked it up for approx 45mins after which the engine turned slowly and wouldn't start.

called out the break down service and when they arrived it started 1st try , they checked the Battery and alternator and said both were fine. Following day I left the house in the afternoon for a night shift and the car wouldn't start again but after a few attempts it finally fired up , had to stop twice on the way to work and it started no problem both times. Leaving work this morning and it was worse barely turning over at all and had to get some workmates to give me a push to get it going . Got up this afternoon and expected it to not start again but fired up 1st time but when it doesn't start its resetting the date, time and radio settings . I'm  hoping someone on here can shed some light on this before I buy a new Battery as I don't want to get one if the same thing is going to happen to that.

by the way it's the 2.0 d4d that I have.

thanks 

Check a known good Battery to see if it starts 1st time have you checked your fuel filter might be clogged.my d4d was a slow start too I got new Battery and refurbished the starter new filter and started 1st time...my old Battery showed no signs of being bad I trickled charged it over night and went to start the car and turn the key was slow lazy crank.I've done a parasitic drain test and found the problem. It was draining my battery and must of killed a cell in it.now it's grand!

• Like 1

Hi Frankie, I replaced the fuel filter at the last service which was about 6k ago. On night shift again now so got my Battery off and charging and when I get chance I think I'll give the starter a clean out.

Does anyone know what cca figure is needed for the Battery ? The old one is marked as a 70ah but I can't see anything about the cca and this figure varies when looking online for a new one.

thanks

Ian

Your cca requirement will differ depending on the engine in the vehicle. Some major Battery manufacturers have guides on their websites, and I know Halfords has a guide in store. You could also pm parts king on this forum and find out about a Toyota one, I believe they are competitively priced.

Hi duggerz, it's a 2010 2.0d4d . When looking online and putting in my reg number I'm being shown batteries with different cca figures.

That's the same engine as mine, I know the Battery for that is an 096. I think the cca specification is 650. I would just get the best you can, I bought a Yuasa with 650 cca and it is not maintenance free and has been great. I top it up with distilled water about twice a year. You can also get maintenance free from them but I have no experience of them. Yuasa also do a 760 cca but really the 650 seems plenty on mine.

Thanks duggerz, just found one in a local spares shop with 74ah and 680 cca , think I'll be getting that one.

New Battery fitted now and all good again . Found out that the old one had a duff cell .

Thanks for all the replies

Ian

• Like 2