Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Super plus petrol?

thom1983

Hi guys, I'm my slightly careless and generally dozy state I managed to fill my avensis up with 97 Ron petrol (130p a litre...ouch) in error. Anyway I wondered what your thoughts are? Is it better? Does it improve fuel economy? I'm going to do a 50 mile motorway run tomorrow and I'd be interested to see if it makes any difference

Apparently it doesn't matter. The only thing it will do is keep your fuel system clean.the higher octane is for the like of subaru impeza,skyline and the likes.think if the engine is tuned/set up for this type of fuel.

• Like 1

The higher octane petrol has been discussed at length on at least a couple of the clubs in the past (the IQ club for example), and its worth has divided opinion.

Think people have used it mainly for the better additive package, and some also think it makes their car run better. Others don't think the extra is worth the money.

I tend to use it when we are on holiday and have motorway travelling to do. For example we're in the Scottish Borders at present and have Super Plus in our i20. I've previously used it in both my Auris - again mainly for motorway work/holidays.

I don't think it makes much difference to economy.

Although I usually use branded petrol, if our local Tesco has a promotion which gives money off fuel, I'll use their Super Plus (Momentum).

At the end of the day, its a personal choice. If you think it makes a difference and wish to use it either regularly or occasionally, go ahead.

• Like 1

Fifth Gear (currently the only gear in terms of TV shows) did an experiment between a basic economy car, mid-range and performance car and tried it on all of these different fuels - this is on YouTube. The only car that had any sort of performance gain was the performance car. I've tried it a few times, didn't notice any difference. However my Dad, once, tried the super unleaded in his Rover 820 and it would splutter when it started up on the super unleaded. But that car was built in 1987, so unless your car is that old you're going to find no difference whatsoever.

11 minutes ago, mickburkesnr said:

Fifth Gear (currently the only gear in terms of TV shows) did an experiment between a basic economy car, mid-range and performance car and tried it on all of these different fuels - this is on YouTube. The only car that had any sort of performance gain was the performance car. I've tried it a few times, didn't notice any difference. However my Dad, once, tried the super unleaded in his Rover 820 and it would splutter when it started up on the super unleaded. But that car was built in 1987, so unless your car is that old you're going to find no difference whatsoever.

Not necessarily about a performance gain. A car can appear to run smoother, and, together with the better package of additives than standard unleaded, this can be enough for people to use super unleaded. On the IQ forum, some owners use the premium fuel to help with exhaust manifold/EGR issues.

Well on my daily commute of the a1 and county roads managed 48mpg without trying from a 1.8 petrol. Can't say I noticed on performance. Can say though that in the past I have run petrol turbos and they always ran better on the super unleaded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 15/09/2016 at 10:54 AM, thom1983 said:

Well on my daily commute of the a1 and county roads managed 48mpg without trying from a 1.8 petrol. Can't say I noticed on performance. Can say though that in the past I have run petrol turbos and they always ran better on the super unleaded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to know how you get that mileage. My 08 t25 1.8 only does 40-42 on a 500 mile all motorway run?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links