Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1ND-TV XP10 Yaris D-4D - 73.6 MPG?!

Yarisfur

So I filled my newly acquired, 05 plate Toyota Yaris a little over 2 weeks ago right to the top with BP ultimate diesel (planning to do this every fifth tank or so to help keep it clean). As a small test I reset my trip so the next time I fuelled (today), I can see how many litres I've used from the 45 litre tank by filling right to the top again. The results were:

trip: 565.3 miles

fuel: 34.9 litres

I got a hell of a shock when I worked it out to be 73+!!!... now I try to drive economically don't get me wrong but I like to put my foot down every now and again too, and it's all mainly country roads here. Maybe it was the premium diesel making such a difference? I paid 120+ per litre for it (which hurt my wallet)... Just find it baffling how I got it that good, that's right at the top end of its claimed MPG.

This isn't uncommon for the Mk1 D4D; I'm averaging 64mpg doing 60/30 urban/motorway driving, and I have been driving with the aircon on almost all the time and accelerating full bore most of the time!

The Mk1 is a superb car; It's one of the few cars that can regularly hit its rated mpg without having to make a large effort to drive efficiently, whereas e.g. the Yaris HSD is extremely sensitive to driving style. If I drove a HSD the way I drive my Yaris I reckon it'd lucky to hit 30mpg :laugh:

Add to that its awesome digital dashboard, insane amount of storage compartments, versatile sliding rear seats, bulletproof reliability, easiness to drive, and that it's a pre-DPF diesel (Which just adds to its reliability) and it's no wonder I think this is probably the best car Toyota have ever made!

In a way it sucks as I'm always looking at newer cars to see what I can 'upgrade' to but not one of them exceeds what my lovely ickle Mk1 gives me! :wub:

Take care of yours and it'll last you as long as you need it and get you anywhere you need to go!

We have a pre-DPF Mk2 with the 1.4D and that has been showing 60+mpg for a year or two. This is on mixed driving with quite a few short journeys, though not commuting, and neither of us drives for economy specifically. Mostly Tesco diesel.

So while 73 is an impressive result, I can believe it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links