Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hub wheel bearings may not always be easy to change!

Konrad C

I just changed a hub wheel bearing on a friends '57 plate Prius, and this was harder to do, due to the hub-bearing seized on to the carrier!

Hear is my post from the Prius section:-

Most recent Toyotas including the Avensis Mk3 use a similar hub-bearing system on the fronts as well as the rears, and normally is should be a bolt off/bolt on job. The problem in this case is the carrier is made of aluminium, whilst the bearing is made of steel. Over time corrosion/oxidisation due to the two different metals causes them to seize together.

This is a heads up for the future, because this should normal be a simple job. Neither my 10 ton press nor a 20 ton press could budge it! Used lots of WD40. Thanks to heat from a blowtorch and a big hammer and chisel, it finally separated.

I wonder if there is a chemical that can attack this corrosion/oxidisation, and job like this easier.   

• Like 2

You're not wrong there Konrad.When I finish work I'll tell you's about the real nightmare I had doing my front wheel bearing back in January, still bear the scars now lol.

• Like 1