Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

window regulator

scoobyblue

hi, just joined up as I think that as the new owner of a 2003 corolla verso I may be needing regular sources of information, I will start off with a "can you guess the part pic" . the drivers side electric window has been making funny clicking noises but still goes up and down, I whipped off the door card to check and found this at the bottom of the door, I cant see where it has broken off, any ideas?

IMG_20160919_100713.jpg

IMG_20160919_100728.jpg

IMG_20160919_100747.jpg

I just realised that this may be in the wrong section, there is a forum for corolla and a forum for verso so not sure which one as this is a corolla verso, please move it if I am wrong

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Not 100% on all the door parts, but it does looks similar to the door check strap, that holds the door half way open and limits how far you can open the door.

Look down by the hinges and compare with the passenger side, if it is that part it should be obvious.

000023.jpg

you sir may have hit the nail on the head, it looks like the previous owner may have replaced it when it broke and left the broken bit lying inside the door, it would also appear to have broken a lump off the window glass at the bottom corner nearest where the door check would enter the door or maybe that is the shape of the glass, still trying to get a pic of the window glass on the net but no joy as yet. could you point me in the right direction for part numbers , or where you got that diagram from

thanks

It is exactly the door check strap, had the same issue with mine Corolla when I bought her....It's a really common fault, actually.

Dunno about the Verso per se, but with the Corolla there are two lengths of door check strap for different model years and bodyshapes. If you fit one that is too long you get the exact same symptoms you're describing. Window clicks and is partially limited in its travel as it reaches almost open.

hi cookeh , the previous owner had already fitted the new strap and I found the broken bit inside the door cavity, there is a number at the end of the new one on the car FR 206, but the number on the part in the pics is fr 225, having said that since I removed the broken part from the door cavity and sprayed some silicone lubricant on the regulator guide rail and a little on the edges of the glass , the click has left and all is running smooth for now. that may be a coincidence or maybe just good fortune......fingers crossed. I definitely would not have identified the part in the pic so top marks to oldcodger and I have made a mental note to myself to try and think outside the box in future.

well, looks like cookeh is right , the click is still there when the door is closed and when opened it disappears, just rang Mr.T , £77 + vat , I think an alternative solution is called for...possibly the breakers yard

Glad you found the problem.

There are no part numbers listed on those diagrams, plus parts  like that are only from Toyota, who upon knowing your reg. number will be able to reference the right part number for your car.

£77 for the door strap ??  -  I know totoya are dear but that sound excessive for such a simple piece.

Cannot a bit of its length be cut off and a hole drilled for a bolt to be put in to limit is travel ?

yes , I think I will have a look at that tomorrow, I am sure there is very little in it and something can be done, I have just spent a lot of money on it, timing belt, water pump, re conditioned turbo, de carboned the injectors which were blowing past , so I hope this is not the straw that broke the camels back

206 and 225 refer to the lengths of the door check straps. FL is obviously front left, FR front right. Sounds like you have the wrong side check strap so its fouling?

hi cookeh ,my apologies,  I just checked it and the new one has fr on it , I have corrected my mistake on that post now so it is the correct side , so the difference is the number , the old broken bit has 225 on it, the existing one has 206, if that number is indeed the length then the one in the car is shorter than the previous one and as such would be less likely to foul the regulator. f.y.i .the passenger side also has 225 stamped on it

17 hours ago, oldcodger said:

£77 for the door strap ??  -  I know totoya are dear but that sound excessive for such a simple piece.

Cannot a bit of its length be cut off and a hole drilled for a bolt to be put in to limit is travel ?

well I seem to have bodged a repair, the "hammer head" in the pic is the offending bit, I cut off the knub with the hole in it and the window now clears the strap, not ideal I know as this leaves just the other knub to stop the door swinging fully open. I guess it will have to do for now and just tell swmbo to open the door carefully.

It will just increase how quickly it bends, which is how it starts to snap in the first place.

Honestly you might as well just remove the part entirely now you've cut the end off - given it now doesnt function to hold the door open. Would stop it bending and damaging the door card and potentially the door skin or frame.

11 hours ago, Cookeh said:

Honestly you might as well just remove the part entirely now you've cut the end off - given it now doesnt function to hold the door open. Would stop it bending and damaging the door card and potentially the door skin or frame.

I didn't remove the whole end, just one side(the bit with the hole in it in the first pic it is on the bottom left ) , this leaves the other side still stopping the door from opening too far

3 hours ago, Cookeh said:

Ah, sorry misunderstood!

no problem, I should have taken a pic of what I did and posted it. main thing is that it has now bought me a bit of time to come across a used one on eBay or somewhere

Motorhog or CarTransplants. Both have had a few in stock when I've called :)

thanks for that, I have a few Toyota breakers near me that I will try first. my reg comes up as 2003 but as I found out when I replaced the turbo the car came off the production line at the end of 2001, so I would be better physically identifying the part there and then, I am in northern Ireland so unless I get desperate the internet is a no go area for sourcing parts for this one

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links