Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Confusing tyre sizes

Sussexlad

Got this SR Yaris earlier in the year. Just noticed that it's got 205/50 R16s on the front

and 195/50 R16s on the rear. Is this right? The pdf handbook I've got doesn't mention 205s.

For 195s it says 32lb/in for front and 29/in for rears.  Is this right?

Not a big deal but I'd like to know it's set up OK.

Hi Andy,

Its not unusual for the front and back pressures to differ, not so sure about sizes.

Sounds like the previous owner or the tyre place, put wider tyres on to make it cheaper.

According to a Toyota OE tyre spreadsheet, the OE size is 195/50/R16 all round - no mention of 205/50/R16. There should be a tyre pressure sticker at the base of the B pillar in either of the front door openings, or inside the glovebox.

Thanks for the two replies. Found the glovebox label and that says 195 which is what all the documentation says.

Then 32 front, 29 rear, so that's all good. Is it OK to stick with the 205s until they wear out ? Any chance of it being

picked up on an MOT ?

As long as tyres on the same axle are the same size, it will be OK as regards an MOT. Some cars do have different sized tyres front and rear as the OE fitment

OK I'll stick with them. They'll be changed as a pair when required, anyway.

Cheers

Sounds to me that the previous owner bought some fatter tyres for the rear, for appearance. Then at some point someone has swapped front and back to even the wear (e.g. at a service) without noticing they are different sizes (they are only 10mm different).

In theory the 205s will have better grip, so ought to be on the back ... In reality I doubt it matters an iota :smile:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links