Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch clunk when released?

fordulike

Could owners of the first generation model, preferably with the bigger clutch, confirm if they hear a clunk sound when the clutch is released with the engine running and car is in neutral.

It does happen during driving, but it's easier to hear when static and in neutral. Can only hear it with engine running though.

Just trying to figure out if this is a characteristic, or I should pop into the Toyota dealer.

BTW, mine's got the bigger clutch and only done 25k miles.

Anyone fancy popping out to their pride and joy and giving some feedback on this? Pretty please :biggrin:

i wouldn't say its normal ,since its under the toyota 5yr warranty i would let them have a look at it

• Like 1

Will try and get it looked at when I can. Got a feeling it'll be the usual " They all do it mate " :biggrin:

Would still appreciate if any other owners can comment on this.

45 minutes ago, mickburkesnr said:

I think mine did it, or still does it. 

That's reassuring, what with all the problems in the past with Aygo clutches. Thanks mickburkesnr.

The lack of engine compartment sound proofing probably makes it sound worse than it is lol.

If the clutch were to fail for whatever reason, would that be covered under warranty, or do Toyota like to shirk out of it with the " It's your style of driving " clause?

Mine is a Peugeot 107, but it's a 2010 version of the Aygo. So my experience will be with Peugeot, rather than Toyota.

However, my clutch failed at about 59,000 miles, within the 3 years I had it new. They put it to "wear and tear", which I didn't agree with. Constant arguments with the dealership didn't work, "wear and tear! wear and tear!" was all I got. Well, it was the last £11,000 they got out of me.

I had a 3008's clutch fail at around the same mark. I read somewhere that since clutches now aren't made with asbestos - thank God - so they wear out quicker. Same applies to brake pads and discs etc. So 60k is the norm, for me anyway. When these cars first came out the clutches would fail before 30,000 miles and they fixed the issue by sticking a Yaris clutch in it.

I think in your case, unsure of mileage, you wouldn't be covered under the warranty. If the clutch were to snap, then you'd have a case. But if it's worn, I think you need to replace it yourself.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links