Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Hybrid HSD abnormal operation?

Auristi

Hi

Could you say, is this normal or abnormal HSD operation?

After 10 kilometer highway drive, I stop the car and after 15-20 minute I start it again. When I gently accelerate (ICE kicks in) the Battery boost all the time.

The speed is about 40 km/h and every time I (gently) touch the gas pedal, the Hybrid Battery boost the electric motor. Why it works like that? Usually the Hybrid Battery boost the system only in powerful acceleration.

Now it waist the battery power.

Driving conditions:

-Engine temp, normal

-Speed 40 km/h

-Toyota Auris Hybrid Facelift 2016

Here is the video, you can see what I mean. Abnormal HSD operation

Hi Jarmo,

How long have you had the car?

If the temperature is outside the Battery comfort zone, then the car will run the ICE more than the Battery.

The other dial next to the speedometer, is like a rev counter. Once the needle reaches just past the middle of the green, then the ICE will kick in.

If the Battery level is high enough, then the battery is used to keep the level, or reduce the level.

I get my Auris on march 2016. I have study, how the Toyota HSD works, and I know the principle of the HSD operation (MG1, MG2 and ICE). But my main concern is, why it sometime use Battery same time with ICE so much. Like I said, usually it use Battery with ICE, only during powerful acceleration. On the video ICE barely kicks on constant speed.

I get my Auris on march 2016. I have study, how the Toyota HSD works, and I know the principle of the HSD operation (MG1, MG2 and ICE). But my main concern is, why it sometime use battery same time with ICE so much. Like I said, usually it use battery with ICE, only during powerful acceleration. On the video ICE barely kicks on constant speed.

I would return the car back to the dealer, at least they can check out the car.

On the forum others have experienced something that sounds like what you are describing.

The Battery cooling system, gets blocked over time and they have had problems. Where the engine is running more than it should, also they notice the fuel consumption has increased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get my Auris on march 2016. I have study, how the Toyota HSD works, and I know the principle of the HSD operation (MG1, MG2 and ICE). But my main concern is, why it sometime use battery same time with ICE so much. Like I said, usually it use battery with ICE, only during powerful acceleration. On the video ICE barely kicks on constant speed.

I would return the car back to the dealer, at least they can check out the car.

On the forum others have experienced something that sounds like what you are describing.

The Battery cooling system, gets blocked over time and they have had problems. Where the engine is running more than it should, also they notice the fuel consumption has increased.

check the air vent by the back seat isn't obstructed / blocked ,it could be something simple like a piece of clothing has fallen off the back seat

Auris 2011

1. If I start the car and drive immediately I experience the same behavior for ~1-2 minutes.

2. If I start the car, wait for a few seconds the ICE kicks in for ~1-2 minutes (it warms up??) and then drive, this is not happening.

3. Very rarely the ICE will not kick in but when reaching ev limit ~30-40km it will start and not shut down even if stationary or less speed than that for ~1-2 minutes.

Turning off and on the car in the interval of 15 minutes will not trigger this behavior. I didn't buy the car new and I always thought this is normal because the engine needs warming up. Average consumption is "ok", 5.4l/100km (~50 miles per gallon)

2 minutes ago, rusiki said:

Auris 2011

1. If I start the car and drive immediately I experience the same behavior for ~1-2 minutes.

2. If I start the car, wait for a few seconds the ICE kicks in for ~1-2 minutes (it warms up??) and then drive, this is not happening.

3. Very rarely the ICE will not kick in but when reaching ev limit ~30-40km it will start and not shut down even if stationary or less speed than that for ~1-2 minutes.

Turning off and on the car in the interval of 15 minutes will not trigger this behavior. I didn't buy the car new and I always thought this is normal because the engine needs warming up. Average consumption is "ok", 5.4l/100km (~50 miles per gallon)

The car is designed to warm up the engine from cold, while driving or stationary in ready mode. It doesn't need to get up to the normal temperature of a normal non hybrid.

If you press the EV button within a few seconds of ready, then you stop the ICE kicking in until the Battery gets low.

I too bought the car used, in just over the year my fuel consumption has got lower. In the beginning 36 litres would take me 420 miles, now the same amount of fuel will take me 460 miles before I get the low fuel warning at 19 miles range.

Another member on the forum suggested, the cars reach their optimum economy at 40,000 miles. That means I don't have long to wait, less than 2000 miles to go.

Auris 2011

The car is designed to warm up the engine from cold, while driving or stationary in ready mode. It doesn't need to get up to the normal temperature of a normal non hybrid.

If you press the EV button within a few seconds of ready, then you stop the ICE kicking in until the Battery gets low.

I too bought the car used, in just over the year my fuel consumption has got lower. In the beginning 36 litres would take me 420 miles, now the same amount of fuel will take me 460 miles before I get the low fuel warning at 19 miles range.

Another member on the forum suggested, the cars reach their optimum economy at 40,000 miles. That means I don't have long to wait, less than 2000 miles to go.

But should it be boosted by the Battery while it's warming? The only time I see the ICE boosted by the Battery beside that, is when flooring the acceleration pedal or while in power mode.

26 minutes ago, rusiki said:

If you press the EV button within a few seconds of ready, then you stop the ICE kicking in until the battery gets low.

But should it be boosted by the battery while it's warming? The only time I see the ICE boosted by the battery beside that, is when flooring the acceleration pedal or while in power mode.

Yes, while there is plenty of charge in the Battery.

Also when on the motorway, to prevent over charging.

Most of the time it's either electric drive or ICE.

26 minutes ago, rusiki said:

4 hours ago, eygo said:

check the air vent by the back seat isn't obstructed / blocked ,it could be something simple like a piece of clothing has fallen off the back seat

Luckily there is a mesh behind the grate/opening to trap dust and debris on mine. From the priuschat forum, some of the photos show nothing to stop the fan from being clogged.

Thanks for your reply. The main issue is unnecessary Battery boost on slow, constant speed, witch occur sometimes. 

After cold start, my Auris behaves exactly same like yours, Rusiki.

Mainly my Auris HSD system works as I expect, but once in a while I encounter this strange behavior (shown in a video).

I will mention this issue to local Toyota dealer, when I receive service call (Safety Sense camera heater installation).

2 hours ago, Auristi said:

Thanks for your reply. The main issue is unnecessary battery boost on slow, constant speed, witch occur sometimes. 

After cold start, my Auris behaves exactly same like yours, Rusiki.

Mainly my Auris HSD system works as I expect, but once in a while I encounter this strange behavior (shown in a video).

I will mention this issue to local Toyota dealer, when I receive service call (Safety Sense camera heater installation).

Even if its just a second opinion.

I have the chance to drive my mothers hybrid, so I can compare the behaviour of both of them.  Mothers is a Yaris, but the drive is much the same.