Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

HDD audio - playback error when copying CDs

Carl H

When I try to copy audio CDs to the HDD (with the REC function), after about a minute or so, it stops with "Playback error".

This happens for any disc.  When not copying, the discs play fine. 

Is this a known issue?  

• 3 months later...

I think I have seen that error once, but just trying again worked fine. I have had some other HHD audio problems -

Must be an error with the laser for copying or something surely? Sorry I cant be more help..

• Like 1

Get a CD drive cleaner. The laser must be dirty. 

I assume that the CD being ripped, spins at a much higher speeds than playback. There is more chance of errors caused by a dirty laser lens. At normal playback speed, the laser has time to read the CD properly. Is the fault recent (you ripped music successfully before) or since you owned the car (if bought recently).

Do you have a USB socket? I know that no USB was available on some cars. If you did have USB, can music be transferred to the HDD? Say it could be done, then it would confirm that the HDD has not been corrupted. I still think the CD player is at fault, when in ripping mode. 

Hope this helps. 

Edited by Konrad C
additional information

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links