Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice needed for Bypassing A/C with shorter belt please!

joe d4d 2004

Hi. Ive managed to get a shorter belt (5pk1110) as advised by kind members, to bypass the aircon pulley on my 2004 Avensis d4d 1cd ftv.  (as there is a horrible noise from pulley/clutch on aircon with aircon off or on)

However on looking at the routing it dosen't look that straight forward

The small idle pulley in the middle would still be partially in the way, so does that have to be removed completely?.To me it looks like the idle pulley is also a belt tensioner as there is an adjustment nut to the right of it. So if i removed it i wouldn't have any way to get tension on the new shorter belt?

The annoying thing is i know that its possible as there are members on here who have do it and had success with a quiet running car. So it would be great to get it fixed as the car is otherwise a great little motor!

I asked the garage to do it but after they looked at the belt routing they said its not possible as the pulleys on the non aircon models are in different positions to the pulleys on aircon models ?Is that true?.So they didnt want to touch it with a barge pole.! :angry:

I want to do it myself or even pay for a garage to do it , as it will be a hell of a lot cheaper that getting the aircon compressor unit changed!

Any advise would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Many Thanks

Joe 2004 d4d.

its 100% possible on the 1cd engine done more than one.

just miss the AIRCON pulley CC on diagrams

http://www.japan-parts.eu/EU/3/161784E.png

https://www.gatesautocat.com/drive/TOYOTA/Avensis/CDT250/1CDFTV/03-03_04-06/33161

+AC 5PK1250 look at the diagram

if your stuck PM me and ill send you my number

Any benefits from doing this?

Great, thankyou for the reply Avensisd4d786,

I hope you dont mind i just have a few questions before i do it.

• So ive got the shorter 5pk1113 belt from the list under -ac. Is this the right?
  • When you changed it was the belt still in contact with the Idle pulley as i cant avoid running over the top of it? 

(In the diagram in looks like you can route the belt straight past it without touching but on mine the belt would still be half in contact with the idle pulley)

• And finally how do i loosen the belt on this model, is it the nut on the right of the idler pulley or is it automatically spring loaded and needed to be yanked back.

Thankyou Avensisd4d786 !

Joe2004d4d

18 hours ago, frankie406 said:

Any benefits from doing this?

For some owners where the air-con unit has a noisy clutch rattle, or the system is beyond repair. There is less drag by-passing the air-con pulley.

• Like 2

Great, thankyou for the reply Avensisd4d786,

I hope you dont mind i just have a few questions before i do it.

So ive got the shorter 5pk1113 belt from the list under -ac. Is this the right? YES
When you changed it was the belt still in contact with the Idle pulley as i cant avoid running over the top of it? there is no idler that is a tensioner above the aircon pulley
(In the diagram in looks like you can route the belt straight past it without touching but on mine the belt would still be half in contact with the idle pulley)

And finally how do i loosen the belt on this model, is it the nut on the right of the idler pulley or is it automatically spring loaded and needed to be yanked back.
Thankyou Avensisd4d786 !

on this model theres two belts, you need to remove the alternator one first, the tensioner is spring loaded.

power steering belt the bypassable one is done with a manual tensioner, infront of the tensioner if you look down at it you will see i think a 12mm or 14mm nut.
Joe2004d4d

• Like 1

Thankyou for the photo!. Much appreciated for your time avensisd4d786. I can see the light now!

Will have a go when i get a free week end.After ive bought a decent socket set.Want to get it done before the winter sets in as it might cease up in the cold.

Hopefully will improve my mpg a little too as im only getting about 30mpg when driving just urban.

Cheers Buddy.:smile:

don't do what I done

I cracked abs module plastic housing when in about the adjuster

atmosphere must have got in and knackered the abs module as I lost my speedo and had abs light on

luckily I got salvage abs unit complete(£20) and replaced electric part in place without splitting brake line manifold

• Like 1

On 10/1/2016 at 8:35 PM, +robster+ said:

don't do what I done

I cracked abs module plastic housing when in about the adjuster

atmosphere must have got in and knackered the abs module as I lost my speedo and had abs light on

luckily I got salvage abs unit complete(£20) and replaced electric part in place without splitting brake line manifold

Robbie, I had ABS failure on my old Mk1 and like you I got just the electronic module from the breakers for £10. Nice easy swap with touching the hydraulic parts, so no bleeding needed. Basically plug and play.

Yes, be careful not to damage other components when working on the car. I have blown the fusible link when I touch the alternator, trying to undo drain plug during coolant change. :bangin:  

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Replaced my old belt this morning with a shorter one 5PK1113, DO NOT get the shorter one quoted in the first item of this topic (5PK1110) got mine from Premier Motor factors on Flea Bay.

Check out http://www.premier-factors.com  product code GAT5PK1113 mine cost £13.33 inc delivery. You can call them to them see which belt for need for the AD, mine is a 1CD-FTV engine.

BTW,  the change is quite simple simple, just remove top engine cover, remove two nuts holding the Injector driver in place and pull out of the way and slacken off the tensioner to remove the old belt and re-tension with the new belt

• Like 1

I am sure that somebody has used a short belt on the AD and posted the answer you require. It is just a matter of finding it. Four cars used the AD engine Auris, Avensis, Rav4 and Lexis is220, so the answer is on one of those. If I find it, I will post. 

PS: Maybe this should be a new independent post, relating to your AD engine with tags - AD, shorter belt, by-pass belt, air-con, etc.  

Edited by Konrad C
additional info

I may have found your answer, but needs clarifying because these are for later T27 version.

Continental/Gates list the engine 2AD engine and the belt 7PK1370 without A/C:- 

http://www.gatesautocat.com/drive/TOYOTA/Avensis/ADT271/2ADFHV-2ADFTV/02-09_12-16/47369

Gates also show the +A/C version as 7PK1870/Continental 7PK1863.

The belt on the older AD is shown as 7PK2000. Using the later AD as a bench mark, the belt is shortened by 500mm. I would run a cord around the pulleys with the belt in place to get a measurement of the belt, with and by-passing the air-con. By measuring the route with the air-con, you will know how accurate the technique is, if the answer is 2000mm. Then by using same measurement by-passing the A/C, the length required should be known. I wonder what is the difference between the earlier and later AD engines?

I hope this helps and I am still searching.

• Thanks 1

yes, for my engine with A/C belt size is 7PK2000 for new engine is 7PK1870.

I think I found some different between this two engine. It's power steering wheel. Old engine have biger wheel.

What do You think?

86c34fb8491a9687e9201de73db6.jpg

avensis3_1.jpg

If the power steering pulley is the only difference, based on the reduction of the -A/C of the later engine, there are a few options:

• The first try the belt recommended for the later engine - 7PK1370,
  • try a belt with a similar reduction 7PK1500,
  • measure between the power steering pulley and the water pump pulley, then deduct the excess leaving the appropriate length,
  • go to a friendly motor factor and try a few belts, starting with the second belt option.
  • The cord measuring technique I mentioned before.

I know this is not ideal, but it is the best I can answer. 

• 2 years later...
On 9/22/2016 at 5:28 PM, avensisd4d786 said:

its 100% possible on the 1cd engine done more than one.

just miss the AIRCON pulley CC on diagrams

http://www.japan-parts.eu/EU/3/161784E.png

https://www.gatesautocat.com/drive/TOYOTA/Avensis/CDT250/1CDFTV/03-03_04-06/33161

+AC 5PK1250 look at the diagram

if your stuck PM me and ill send you my number

Hi my ac unit has sheared off so I now need to remove the unit and install the smaller belt.  It’s a 2006 Avensis D4D T180.  Great car in all other ways - any chance you have the pulley diagram and belt part number +any other advice?  I’m only going to be the helper as my father in law is much more savvy than me!

• 2 years later...

Hey everyone, hope you're doing well. 

I have a Toyota Avensis 2005 1.6 and turns out that the compressor pulley is wobbling  and I would like to bypass that pulley using another but shorter. 

The problem is that I have no clue of the Belt size.  Does anyone could help me please? 

Thank you guys. 

hi there quick question with the last of the 1adftv 2014 2.0d4d engines what belt work work on those engines mine has no problems yet but when dose im going down that route but if possible would like a genuine toyota belt as i hear the non genuine ones are just a tad wider and make a  slight squeak noise .going by a yaxi guy i know he had a toyota avensis and thats what he told me 

• 4 months later...
On 4/4/2017 at 7:49 PM, Konrad C said:

If the power steering pulley is the only difference, based on the reduction of the -A/C of the later engine, there are a few options:

• The first try the belt recommended for the later engine - 7PK1370,
  • try a belt with a similar reduction 7PK1500,
  • measure between the power steering pulley and the water pump pulley, then deduct the excess leaving the appropriate length,
  • go to a friendly motor factor and try a few belts, starting with the second belt option.
  • The cord measuring technique I mentioned before.

I know this is not ideal, but it is the best I can answer. 

Sorry again Konrad going to guy this belt 7PK1370 would this work on the 2014 Toyota avensis 1adftv 2.0 d4d engines with dpf .  Do u think should ring Toyota ask them for that part number 7PK1370 and they will order it .I don't want to take a chance on any other belt if not Toyota as of the anoying sqeeking that can come with replacing belts with off brand belts