Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Temporary Loss of Power

LT1001

I have a D4D T180 2007 plate (90k miles), recently I have noticed a loss of power especially when pulling away from a standing start. It feels as though the car takes a second to think about it then remembers I want to move. Last week I lost power completely for a few seconds after pulling away from lights and only resolved it by frantically changing gears between 1st and 2nd (the revs were OK just nothing going through), at higher speeds I feel the occasional lurch then nothing for miles.

Also getting a lot of blue(ish) smoke especially when starting from cold or after driving a lot of slow urban miles/traffic jams (clears quickly after getting up to higher speeds).

I have a full service booked tomorrow hoping this cures it as internet research seems to point towards filters etc, putting it out here in case other have experienced similar and its more serious than that?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to be potentially the bearer of bad news. The blue smoke points to oil being burnt hence the blue hint in smoke. i THINK that your turbo is leaking. Its not egr. EGR issues are more frequent than intermittent and these wont give blue smoke as far as I know. anyways dont mean to scare you but thats my tuppence.

Regards,

waqar

• Like 1

I would look at the a few areas - the EGR, the PCV, and the turbo.

The EGR is the easiest and most common fix. Next is the PCV. 

Waqar is on to something regarding the turbo. If the seals and bearings are worn, then that may answer the performance issue and blue smoke.

The worn bearings will restrict the turbo from spooling up quickly, and oil is passing through the seals. Once the pool oil in the turbo has burnt off, the smoke ceases for a while. The turbo is the expensive fix! 

One thing i forgot to mention that always start diagnosis with cheap and easy to check things. For example, I would start with pcv valve as its quite cheap and easy to diagnose. When you take it off, I think (I hope I am right but you can find ways to check it online as well) if it rattles then its good otherwise the ball is stuck (i think i am right but not sure, anyways google it). If the valve is stuck open then the oil vapour that enters back into air intake may also cause temporary blue smoke. its unlikely though but can happen depending on if there is enough vapour. Good luck.

regards,

waqar

I don't believe that the d4d engine has a pcv in it.

10 minutes ago, frankie406 said:

I don't believe that the d4d engine has a pcv in it.

It's different with  a turbo diesel innit Frankie. An old fashioned petrol engine with suction in the inlet manifold could draw out the crankcase fumes and the PCV would shut off at idle speed to avoid a massive air leak. With a turbo diesel you have pressure in the manifold so the crankcase usually vents into the turbo inlet pipe / duct.

• Like 1

id still start with egr clean , decoke , check that the coking aint sticking the variable vane turbo actuation.making it lazy or intermittent

usually noticeable when going over speed bumps 1st or 2nd gear idling kind of pace

you then put your foot down and it bogs down due to turbo vanes not being at correct angle

good chance to check oil leake at turbo when in there or even if you have manifold off for decoke if its that bad to see if you can eyeball valves for oil runs,, before going full on doomsday and accepting it as a knackered engine

Hi , can I throw my problem in here also. Similar answers I guess...

was reading on some Toyota forums that Toyota do a 7 year/less than 112k miles warranty on their cars . My booklet says 3 years/ 60k miles for comprehensive work and 12 years for corrosion.
Does anyone know the story ?
Also, my avensis has recently started conking out when ticking over first thing in the morning and also when I drive in 2nd and 3rd and put the accelerator down nothing happens (like the car is freewheeling) for 20 seconds , then acceleration kicks in. It appears that this becomes less of a problem the further i drive or the longer I drive.
Then yesterday a load of lights came on Check Parking BRake system and Check Vsc system along with a yellow exclamation. Man in garage plugged it in and says he is not sure. My googling tells me that this seems to be a common enough problem in the D4D engine and that the egr valve could be clogged...I would welcome comments especially if I think the warning lights yesterday are related to the poor performance of the car in low revs.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

For a day or 2 I could smell diesel in the car while driving... then....

Engine management lights came on 2 weeks ago and my car has been in the garage. Fault is reading as blocked DPF, ordered a new one as car is in Limp mode and wont go over 2k revs. Mechanic who looked at it said to also clean the EGR myself as he'd feel bad charging me to do a job I could do with even limited knowledge.

Hoping that cures the problem (shame its not covered under warranty), but if other answers are correct and its turbo related that is covered (silver linings and all that).

The Blue smoke MAY be a red herring as to me its more white but a work colleague said he saw blue as I pulled away. If its totally cabbaged I'll give it back to dealer and cancel the finance on it, not paying for something I cant use.

Really appreciate the feedback from everyone, thankyou :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links