Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis buying advice

Chavez

Hi All,

I am looking to get an Avensis estate as my next family car workhorse and it seems to tick all the boxes: reliable, safe, large boot for kids' crap. I am hoping to buy a 6-7 yo and drive in into the ground, so reliability and ease of maintenance (diy or at a local independent garage) are essential.

I would be grateful for some advice on what version to choose. Being the stubborn backward-looking bugger that I am, I really dislike all the fancy gizmos that are packed into all modern cars. I would much rather keep it simple - fewer parts that can break.

I was about to take a local Gen 3 for a test drive when I noticed that it had no handbrake! And that 's on a lowest spec car! After breathing into a bag for half an hour, I've managed to calm down and check out a few more autotrader ads, just to see them all listed with "electronic parking brakes". Do all Gen 3s come with this abomination?

Some further reading has uncovered that some Avenses come with electronic power steering. The last time I've driven a car with epas, I had nightmares for months. Horrible, lifeless driving experience, reminding me of the 80s arcade racing games. Perhaps epas has moved on in the last few years, but is it more reliable than the good old hydraulics? Are all Gen 3s equipped with them? What about Gen 2?

Engine wise, I am looking for 1.8 petrols. I note that all Gen 3 come with v-matics and all Gen 2 with vvt-i - is that right? Are there any reliability concerns with 2008-2009 vvt-i? I've read that v-matic is more refined and efficient, but is it more reliable?

I would be grateful for any pointers towards an honest mechanical version of the Avensis. So far it looks like I'll have to hunt down a 2008 or 2009 Gen 2 if I want to avoid the electronics? Otherwise I might end up getting one of them square Volvo 850s ;)

Thanks,

Chavez.

PS Is there a Haynes manual for Gen 3 or Gen 2? Couldn't find one online.

Where can I start? 

I own a '09 Tourer TR version of the Mk3 with the valvematic engine, and had the pleasure of comparing it with my friends '08 VVTi, before it was written off.

The late model 1.8 VVti (1ZZ) engine from late 2005 to end of run, are modified and "cured" from the oil burning problem. The only thing really against it it is age, but after owning a '98 Mk1 for 13 years until this year, that should no problem. It is still running. The only other "minor" disadvantage has 5 speed only and cannot have cruise control, if you call those a disadvantage. 

The Mk3 has a major flaw with the front doors where the metal flexes around the check strap fixing points, that causes the paint to crack. I am trying a fix using larger washers to see if it helps. The EPA steering has no issues. The EPB is fine. Just don't go in to deep puddles or aim a hose in the wrong direction under the car.

I have serviced my car since I got it. The oil and filter has been changed, so has the air and cabin filters. The spark plugs were changed 11 months ago, and the the disc and pads were replaced earlier this year, front and rear. I change the wipers all round, and any missing items were sorted.

I was looking at buying a Mk2 but got this car, and have enjoyed the experience, apart from stalling.    

Actually to see what I have done, read my posts. 

I run a mk2 1.8 petrol hatch t3x and that has a traditional handbrake and the only thing that can be classed as slightly fancy is the climate control. It's ten years old, as Konrad says easy to service (I'm doing oil and filters today and cost me £32 in bits), good on fuel (just driven from Stratford to Newcastle and although taking it easy managed an indicated 52.5mpg). Nothing rattles or squeaks and the car is bomb proof covering around 1000 miles a week without issue. I'll be honest they're not the most engaging to drive but it doesn't pretend to be. What it will be is reliable and solid and so long as you look after it it'll run forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The model from 2003-2008 is known as the T25, and was mildly faceifted in 2006.  The 2009-2014 (ish) model is the T27, and was facelifted in 2012.

I've owned two of each: an 05 plate 1.8vvti manual, a 55 plate 1.8vvti auto, a 59 plate 2.0 diesel manual, and the 12 plate 1.8 valvematic auto currently in my profile (although I now have a 15 plate Mazda 6).

The T25 is a good comfy soft sprung car with pretty good kit, and broadly speaking they're bulletproof.  If you choose the 1.8vvti ensure you buy a post facelift tho since the oil burning issue was fixed by then.  The 1.8vvti has moderate power but it's no racer.  Fuel economy is pretty good tho - over 50mpg is possible from the 1.8 if you drive like a nun.   If you go for a diesel be aware the (earlier) ones with the 5 speed gearbox have a different engine to the (later) ones with the 6 speed, I'm not 100% certain but I'm pretty sure the 5 speed one is the bulletproof version.  Avoid the 2.2 diesel since they're prone to cylinder head troubles.

The T27 has the same 'user friendly' feel of it's predecessor but is far better in many respects.  The valvematic engine has bags more punch than the vvti, but retains the good mpg.  The manual has a 6 speed box helping economy.    The general roadholding is tighter and sharper, but still not course or bumpy.  You can't tell that it has electric steering, it has good weight and feel.  The Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) has had quite a few reports of failure (and it's an expensive fix at around/over a grand), but these were reportedly the earlier versions.  There are some potential problems, like the door cracks mentioned earlier in this thread, and the occasional high miler taxi needing a steering rack or something.  Broadly speaking they seem as reliable as the T25.

Personally I'd go for a T27.  Most also have things like ipod connectivity and a reversing camera.  The auto is a nice relaxed drive around town and on country roads but can get revvy and noisy on motorway speeds.

Oh, be aware the headlights on the T25 are pretty grim.  The ones on the T27 are much better but still not great.

• Like 3

I was unsure about the electronic parking brake at first, as I've had company cars (mainly Qashqais and Golfs) with these things, and while the Qashqai seemed easy enough, the Golf was counter intuitive and I ended up disabling it as much as possible. 

The one in my Avensis works the same as the Quashqai, and once I got used to it, it's a doddle to use. 

The only issue with it is the position of the button; from my driving position it's partially hidden by the steering wheel. Would have been better on the centre console, but that aside, don't let it put you off. 

I've previoulsy had a few Honda Accords, and unless you're a boy racer, the T27 Avensis is on a par with them. 

• Like 1

most things have been covered,

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a mk2 07 08 1.8 vvti.

I do not own a mk3 a close friend does he has not had any problems,

• Like 1

On 23/09/2016 at 10:57 PM, Konrad C said:

The late model 1.8 VVti (1ZZ) engine from late 2005 to end of run, are modified and "cured" from the oil burning problem.

A friend of mine told me that this problem was solved from 2009 with 3rd grneration. I'm confused. When was the oil burning problem solved? 

The last thing I want is to buy an avensis and have problems after. 

Copied from the Honest John review (Good/Bad section) of the 2003-2009 T25 Avensis:

"Early 1.8 and 2.0 litre VVT-i engines can start to use up to a litre of oil every 600 miles after 40,000 miles due to a bore liner problem and/or being fitted with slightly undersize pistons. By February 2009 Toyota had extended the warranty on these engines to 6 years or 100,000 miles. Cars built from July 2005 should not have this problem."

• Like 1

I can confirm what was said earlier about T25 diesels. Have mine for 2.5 years - it's bombproof.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Copied from the Honest John review (Good/Bad section) of the 2003-2009 T25 Avensis:

"Early 1.8 and 2.0 litre VVT-i engines can start to use up to a litre of oil every 600 miles after 40,000 miles due to a bore liner problem and/or being fitted with slightly undersize pistons. By February 2009 Toyota had extended the warranty on these engines to 6 years or 100,000 miles. Cars built from July 2005 should not have this problem."

Thank you. 

Am I right to suggest that oil burning problem was on petrol engines only? 

The VVTi petrol engines had this specific issue.

However, the 2.0 litre and 2.2 litre D4D engines produced for the Avensis between April 2005-Feb 2009 could suffer heavy oil consumption/head gasket issues - see first post of:  

Ok, 

As this is byuing advise topic, which engines/years/fuel type best to avoid and which engines(and year) are best for 2nd gen avensis? To avoid any obvious/common troubles. 

I think this will make buyers life much easier. 

1 hour ago, Liopik said:

A friend of mine told me that this problem was solved from 2009 with 3rd grneration. I'm confused. When was the oil burning problem solved? 

The last thing I want is to buy an avensis and have problems after. 

The oil burning issue was solved mid 2005 when the T25 had the face lift. The face lift T25 have repeat indicators on the door mirrors. 

Not every early 1ZZ had the oil burning problem, and some have had the short engine exchange. It may be possible that some have had an engine from a late face lift Avensis that was written off. This means the later T25 will be fine.

biased opinion

if you can get my vintage with low mileage (1cd engine)(100k miles)

cheap enough then budget a few hundred quid

bullet proof workhorse

get undersealed

tbelt and waterpump done

egr cleaned or blanked

new radiator (about 50 quid) also clean cooland hose connections at this point

aircon prob on last legs so delete and new belt

engine oil every 5k

easy as that if your handy with the tools and have a spare weekend

Saw an Avensis today. 120k miles, 56 reg, 1800quid, 1.8 petrol. Seems a decent car, but saw quite rust underneath ( between rear wheels) and the interior was terrible, and stinks bad. My question is, what about the rust underneath? Is that a common avensis problem or just this car I saw? And does it worth to buy it with rust underneath? 

On 10/1/2016 at 10:38 PM, Liopik said:

Saw an Avensis today. 120k miles, 56 reg, 1800quid, 1.8 petrol. Seems a decent car, but saw quite rust underneath ( between rear wheels) and the interior was terrible, and stinks bad. My question is, what about the rust underneath? Is that a common avensis problem or just this car I saw? And does it worth to buy it with rust underneath? 

I'd definitely avoid that one. 

On 10/1/2016 at 10:38 PM, Liopik said:

That car has been abused, mileage too high and the price needs to be lower for the condition. Avoid. There are plenty more out there.

The rust is not common, so this Avensis is more the exception than norm. My '98 Mk1 I sold earlier this year had no rust! 

A reasonable spec you need to look at is '56 plate onward, T3-X which does not have too much kit .Avoid the T3-S which has the useless Sat-Nav. All 1.8 engine should be okay, so long as they are looked after, with regular servicing. 

Unless you need leather or electric seats my personal favourite "bang for the buck" would be a 2007/8 TR trim grade.

• Like 1

I agree, over priced. Paid £1500 for mine and it's not far of mint and had 95k miles a828f164f41f3deb40125068fbd6dc2a.jpg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, thom1983 said:

I agree, over priced. Paid £1500 for mine and it's not far of mint and had 95k miles a828f164f41f3deb40125068fbd6dc2a.jpg

Where did you find so cheap?! I autotrader, eBay, gumtree. Everywhere greedy traders who are happy to lie ))).

Was really lucky; guy was a trader but couldn't have been nicer - even gave my 4 year old some books to help her reading. Was off auto trader , bought it in Newcastle. Only thing wrong with it is the little cubby by the handbrake won't shut!

• Like 1

Saw another avensis today. 1.8 petrol, 2006, 100k miles. Very clean and nice interior and exterior. The only thing I noticed is that both front wheels not evenly worn off (more thread on inner sides of wheels). Trader told that he'll arange this to be fixed in case I buy, witha written confimation (I think is just a lie). 2000 pounds. 

And another thing I want to ask, when you drive around London, does your Avensis hit the bumps with belly? Avensis seems so low, especially in front. 

11 hours ago, Liopik said:

Saw another avensis today. 1.8 petrol, 2006, 100k miles. Very clean and nice interior and exterior. The only thing I noticed is that both front wheels not evenly worn off (more thread on inner sides of wheels). Trader told that he'll arange this to be fixed in case I buy, witha written confimation (I think is just a lie). 2000 pounds. 

And another thing I want to ask, when you drive around London, does your Avensis hit the bumps with belly? Avensis seems so low, especially in front. 

Considering that the Mk2 and Mk3 have similar ground clearance, my Avensis never scraped any speed humps. Not even my old Mk1!

Either the suspension has been lowered or has sagged due to weak springs and/or dampers.

The wheels need alignment as the car seem to be toeing out. Again be aware of worn suspension and steering!

Avoid that car!

Edited by Konrad C
Additional info.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links