Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis buying advice

Chavez

After the recent flood in Crayford in my borough, I can say, watch out for flood damage cars and cat' "D" cars.

If the bodywork has survived, the unprotected metal parts and the electrical components may give problems long time after!

• Like 2

• 5 years later...
On 10/3/2016 at 4:10 PM, Konrad C said:

That car has been abused, mileage too high and the price needs to be lower for the condition. Avoid. There are plenty more out there.

The rust is not common, so this Avensis is more the exception than norm. My '98 Mk1 I sold earlier this year had no rust! 

A reasonable spec you need to look at is '56 plate onward, T3-X which does not have too much kit .Avoid the T3-S which has the useless Sat-Nav. All 1.8 engine should be okay, so long as they are looked after, with regular servicing. 

Could have been used to launch a boat or dinghy to sea. Had a friend buy a beautiful looking Nissan X trail that was completely ruined underneath due to being used for this.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2016 at 9:27 AM, Konrad C said:

After the recent flood in Crayford in my borough, I can say, watch out for flood damage cars and cat' "D" cars.

If the bodywork has survived, the unprotected metal parts and the electrical components may give problems long time after!

The number of cars you see on TV news stranded in floodwater is shocking. They are all going to be sold or PXd in due course with unsuspecting follow on purchasers.  I tell people all the time DO NOT DRIVE INTO FLOODS but they do. A neighbour of ours shortly after she was widowed drove her BMW into floods and was surprised when it conked out. It cost her hundreds.  Quite apart from the ongoing corrosion issues the big risk is floating away downstream. Cars are boxes and boxes float. When you open the door and let the water in they sink....but the water is then much deeper. That's how people get killed. And as for motorhomes and campers, they will always fail a damp meter test for the rest of their lives.  Just don't chance it. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, DavidinDerbyshire said:

I tell people all the time DO NOT DRIVE INTO FLOODS but they do....  Quite apart from the ongoing corrosion issues the big risk is floating away downstream. Cars are boxes and boxes float. When you open the door and let the water in they sink....but the water is then much deeper. That's how people get killed. And as for motorhomes and campers, they will always fail a damp meter test for the rest of their lives.  Just don't chance it. 

Wise words!

OTOH, I was caught in a torrential downpour a few months ago, and I was very much surprised to find my self driving uphill in what appeared to be a river! I certainly wasn't going to stop and get out of the car. What made the situation worse, were the relatively narrow streets and the sewer system being overwhelmed.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links