Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Transmission Plug Gasket...which way round pls?

Shimmy

Hi all. Just about to do a simple auto box drain and fill on my Corolla. Having tracked down the Gasket for the Auto pan plug...for the extortionate price of £2.40 from Toyota...can anyone confirm which way round it is fitted to the sump. I think it is a crush type. One side is relatively flat, the other side is as the pic, with a ridge. Ps, I searched the net for cheaper matching gaskets, which I'm sure exist, but with no spec details anywhere I had to go with Toyo's original to be sure. This is for the Plug bolt on the bottom of a 1997  Corolla Automatic Transmission Pan. E111. 4A-FE Engine. Ta.

gskt.jpg

Aha. Yes. Thanks Tom. I remember reading that post but couldn't find it again and I'd forgotten the conclusion. It is actually the same part number as mine...35178-30010. I have read various opinions about this. Some say one way. Others say the other way. Some say, it doesn't matter. I do put money on one thing though...when I come to remove the plug and look at what's on my car, I bet A/ It's not the same gasket. Or B/ It's on the other way round.

I only bought one from Toyota because sod's law says that if I try to re-use the old one, this will be the time it decides to leak. So Prudent to have one to hand. Also, my conclusion was as that posters...that the triple bit went against the pan. It seemed to make sense to me. But that, according to those Toyota Techs that advised him...is wrong. : )

I did wonder if it is actually the same plug and gasket as the engine Oil, but I've got a suspicion that it is different. I did also wonder if the Tranny pan is actually different from a manual car also. Thanks for the reply.

Just to conclude this as it might help others. I received the sump plug gasket from Toyo ( I got 2 just in case ). When I removed the auto pan sump plug...guess what? It was identical to the new one but...it had not been fitted as the two Toyo techs had advised in the link above! ( That is 3 ridges to the plug side and smoother round face  to pan side). It was indeed the other way round! Just for the hell of it I fitted the new one the same supposedly, incorrect way. I had no torque wrench. (It requires a certain torque). I was carefully not to over-tighten and have checked it all week for leaks. All seems well.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links