Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Exhaust Noise

rushy45

Hi, Last week I swapped my Yaris Auto for a Auris Auto, 2013, 1.6 Excel, it drives very nice but one thing is annoying me, there is a loudish burp from the exhaust when cold or when revved, looking underneath about half way down the car there is a large flange joint, can see it but cant reach it, this is where it seems to blow from, I mentioned it to one of the mechanics on the day I picked it up (toyota main dealer), he just said its a characteristic of the car because of where the joint is, is he right or just fobbing me off, would not think a blow could be classed as normal, they passed it on the MOT, any comments gratefully received, Thanks.... Mike

Does your profile need updating to include the 2013 Auris 1.6?

Mines is something the same so I don't think they're telling you porkies. When I got mine the back half of the exhaust system had been damaged so I took it back and they replaced it (the back half only, not the full exhaust system). I hear the same raspy noise that you're talking about and I've been below it and checked that joint but it isn't loose or anything. I've since had them check it on the ramp and it recently went through its first MOT and was OK. 

Thanks Tom, was going to take it back for them to check it but probably just learn to live with it.

Hi Frosty... I have edited my profile now... Thanks, Mike

15 hours ago, fordulike said:

If you want to hear burpy and raspy, you should try driving an Aygo :biggrin:

Or walking the floor at 3am with a baby.

Thanks Tom, was going to take it back for them to check it but probably just learn to live with it.

Hi Frosty... I have edited my profile now... Thanks, Mike

I have run the car for a week now and the exhaust noise is still really bothering me, can't believe it should be like that, to my thinking the loud noise from cold is that the large flange joint which is right under the front seats is blowing when cold then as it heats up seals itself somewhat, even then it's a quite noisy exhaust, really spoiling the car for me, even thinking of trying to do a swap under the 30 exchange plan... bit drastic but will never be happy with this exhaust. 

• 4 years later...

Hey mate, I have the same problem with my 2013 (63) reg auris 1.6. Very loud when starting cold but seems to be quieter after 30 mins or so on a motorway.  Did you manage to figure out how to fix this?

10 minutes ago, Fuzzly said:

Hey mate, I have the same problem with my 2013 (63) reg auris 1.6. Very loud when starting cold but seems to be quieter after 30 mins or so on a motorway.  Did you manage to figure out how to fix this?

Hi, if you drive on short trips in towns only very likely you have condensation inside the silencer and this can affect the sound from the exhaust, makes it throaty. Once you drive on motorways with few fast accelerations and at higher speeds the exhaust clears off the water and becomes quiet again. This is one possible scenario for your issue. 👍 

The 1.6 exhaust noise is/was a known concern but not a fault, the exhaust is working normally and as designed however Toyota recognised that some customers found the noise unpleasant and as a result they developed a quieter system which they where willing to install under warranty if a customer complained. 

Thanks both for your responses

@Devon Aygo do you know how I can get this new system installed? Is there a particular part I need to make sure they install so I don't end up with the same old design? I know it won't fall under warranty anymore but willing to pay for this. 

10 hours ago, Fuzzly said:

Thanks both for your responses

@Devon Aygo do you know how I can get this new system installed? Is there a particular part I need to make sure they install so I don't end up with the same old design? I know it won't fall under warranty anymore but willing to pay for this. 

PM your chassis number and I can confirm 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2021 at 8:50 PM, Devon Aygo said:

PM your chassis number and I can confirm 

Hello, I have an Auris 2013 1.6 petrol too. I have been waiting for the back box f since March/April this year.  I am looking for the silent exhaust. Would you be able to let me know the part numbers and availability?  Many thanks.