Do Not Sell My Personal Information

exhaust insulator

frankie406

exhaust insulator/heat shield  under the back door drivers side.mines was so badly corroded it came off making a terrible racket on the exhaust.isame it needed? Where can I get a new/2nd hand 1...or can I just put an exhaust wrap round it or is there cables or anything else needs protection? 

Hi Frank, many people get repair washers, they are the very big ones with a hole of your bolt diameter. Try getting the bolts out first and if you can you can repair it at very low cost.

Mike

I've no way of repairing it theres a huge hole in it with 2 or 3 bits held on with screw's. Seen less holes in a teabag. ..

Yes avensis I checked online they want €177.99 for this part!😥😲this must be a joke? Might get exhaust heat wrap.just wondering is it OK without it or does it need to cover brake lines fuel lines etc.

Last time I checked, the shield from the dealer was £32. Even that is steep for what it is.. 

I was online this afternoon and said €177.99. It's ridiculous!was chatting to a guy and told me his was £69 from Toyota? I'd look over it if it was made from a precious metals. This is from a forum I was on >>>"

To enable me to find a part at the best possible price, I'm looking for the part number, which Toyota refuse to give out. "I'm sorry mate, I'm not allowed to give it out", is the usual reply.
I'm looking for a heat shield for a Toyota Avensis T180 2.2 D-4D Diesel.
It's the rear one that goes between the exhaust and the fuel tank.
I'm not going to pay Toyota £110 for it so, if push comes to shove, I have a nice sheet of aluminium here that I can bash into shape if need be. :)""

Read more: http://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/part-no-wanted.354562/#ixzz4LZlbKdX8

That's how I'm going to make the replacement for mine - how hard can it be?? 

have you tried asking Parts-King (Lindop Toyota Parts dept.) for a price?

Unfortunately mine was extremely bad nothing there to make a template for. Found a place in Japan that sells themy for around £20 but the import taxes and handing charges brings it up around  £50-60!might wrap it and put something up to protect the tank and lines/wiring

If he can get me it for £20 +p&p to northern Ireland I'd take it lol.but wouldn't pay anymore for a piece of metal which will no doubt rot again quickly 

mines ( well gave car to the wife) dropped down last week.

it is mullered with rot. no chance of a penny washer repair as there is a chunk missing

its bodged with cable ties to stop the rattling for now

watch this space

next time I see a roadsign abandoned it is getting lifted

imagine the mot testers face the next time its up on ramp and sees a lovely crafted roadworks triangle in place of a bonifide heatshield

going rat rod on the !Removed!

all spare money going on q7 so no big spends on a 12 year old t25

• Like 1

oh and its good time for an underseal at this point as all other mechanicals are minted

Was looking to do underseal myself so might just look into it.I've got a heat shield from breakers it's not as bad as the 1 I had totally rotted.few holes and a bit missing and floppy.I've done a bit of work on it and just spraying it soon so it might do me for another while.

• Like 1

aye bit of radiator or barbecue paint should do the job

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got a cheap very thin rusted second hand part and cleaned it up a bit. Used rust killer then bit of body filler also for the thin and missing bits I used fibreglass.with the left over resin I coated the whole then sprayed with primer then few coats of high temperature silver paint. 

20160930_183937.jpg

20160930_184006.jpg

20160930_202627.jpg

20161001_000340.jpg

20161001_174535.jpg

20161001_174542.jpg

20161012_165512.jpg

20161012_165524.jpg

20161012_175446.jpg

20161012_175919.jpg

• Like 2

Looks nice, but..... Bear in mind that during manufacture this part was fitted to the body Shell before the exhaust. It cannot be removed or refitted without being flexed (bent) to clear the exhaust pipe. Doing that will undo much of your beautification treatment. Unless of course you're planning on moving the exhaust out of the way. Dropping the silencer from the hangers will do it. 

• Like 1

Yeah gaz forgot about that. But I managed to get it off without removing the exhaust so hopefully go back on again even with a few bumps or knocks:bangin:

Repair looks good Frankie, just a quick question, are there any fuel pipes in the area behind the shield? Just wondered if the shield protects 'em from heat off the exhaust..

Think the fuel lines run along the passenger side up into the filter.the part is actually called the fuel tank protector. So must keep stones and other crap from hitting it at high speeds?

• 2 weeks later...

just removed another paint the a'** these things