Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

rav 4.2 2002 rear brakes

joe67

I need to remove the rear calipers on my toyota rav 4 2002, the bolts are solid, and only 14mm are they known for snapping when trying to remove? last thing i need is snapped bolts...

Mine have always come apart with no probs but it is serviced regularly . Hopefully others on here will say how theirs are .

5 hours ago, joe67 said:

I need to remove the rear calipers on my toyota rav 4 2002, the bolts are solid, and only 14mm are they known for snapping when trying to remove? last thing i need is snapped bolts...

You sound as if you know what you're doing so I'm not going to waste your time saying try penetrating oil etc.I take it you have tried tightening them slightly to see if you can break their grip. Can you get in to strike a hammer blow on the heads of the bolts to see if you can jar/shock then loose? If they've been assembled with Loctite none of that will work and heat will be your best friend. I always meant to get one of those induction heaters since I don't have my oxy acetylene equipment any more.

Couple of threads here might be of interest;

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/150886-help-with-rear-caliper/#comment-1286845

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/86796-maintenanceimprovement-tips-42/#comment-796495

i soaked them and tryed the impact gun, expected atleast one of them to snap but got away with it, thanks for the help

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links