Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris question?

auris1122

Hi i have some questions about the 1.33l Auris the non hybrid one with the 6 speed gearbox from 09-10 onwards.Hopefully some Auris owners will know the following:

1.What are the gear ratios like compared to the older 5 speed model is there much difference ?

2.What is the rpm at 70mph in 6th ?

3.What sort of real mpg can you expect to get from it ?

4.Is it cam belt or chain driven ?

Thanks

My real mpg is documented here:

I'm currently averaging even slightly better than the figures here.

The 1.33 is chain driven and so no worries on that score. Gear ratios are subjectively very good and 6th is very relaxed at speed with what I would consider quite low rpm given the engine capacity. Couldn't quote you an exact figure just from memory but I would hazard that its no higher than 3k.  

The 1.33 Dual VVT-i engine with six speed gearbox was introduced in late 2008. It was never available with a five speed gearbox, having replaced the previous 1.4 VVT-i engine with five speed gearbox.

As regards fuel consumption, that will vary according to what type of driving environmnent one has.

With both of the Auris I had from new (2009 and 2012 1.33's), city driving (Birmingham) used to be around 37mpg, and the best achieved on runs was 48mpg - both measured brim to brim. As regards my city driving, my 6.5 mile journey to the office usually took anything between 40 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the density of the relatively heavy stop/start traffic.

The major factor are the gear ratios and the final drive. The wheel/tyre diameter also effect the gear ratio. Engine torque to match the gearing and car aerodynamics/weight.

From figures from specifications and tests plus Mooly's answer, the older Auris (1.4) was geared at something like 20 mph per 1000 rpm. That meant it was revving to 3500 rpm at 70 mph. The 1.33 is geared at approximately 23 mph per 1000 rpm, so should show 3000 rpm at 70 mph. 500 rpm difference.

Toyota tend to use the same gear ratios with it's petrol cars and only the final drive makes the difference. The first five gears of both 5 speed and 6 speed gearboxes are the same. Same for the Avensis which has similar ratios, but the final drive is higher than Auris. My old Mk1 was geared at approx' 22 mph per 1000 rpm - 3000 rpm at 70 mph in 5th. My Mk3 Avensis is geared at 27 mph per 1000 rpm in 6th, so the revs are approx 2500 rpm at 70 mph. Again 500 rpm difference. 

Here is the thing, both cars were smooth, but the Mk1 had a higher pitch to the engine note. Not noisy. But on steep inclines 5th gear was okay whilst 6th will struggle - remember the torque plays a part too! Fuel consumption is very similar too. I think the 1.33 Auris will be better than the 1.4. Owners can share their results.  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links