Do Not Sell My Personal Information

High oil consumption

deerhunter

Hi all,my wife's 2009 1.4 diesel Yaris has 41k on the clock and It has full dealer s/h.I have had to top the oil up twice due to the oil light coming on.It used approx 1.5 ltrs in 4000 miles.It has been back to the dealers twice and they say it's within Toyotas usage limits.My Sons 2007 Yaris diesel with 135k on the clock uses no oil.Does anyone else have this issue with their Yaris as it seems very high to me.

Think Toyota's definition of high oil consumption is more than 0.5 litres per 621 miles (1,000km).

Have you used the Toyota recall checker to see whether there are any outstanding recalls due - https://www.toyota.co.uk/caring-for-your-toyota/owners/recall-checker.json

Thanks for the reply Frostyballs,there are no outstanding recall issues on the Yaris.

If your information is correct then it is within Toyotas oil consumption tolerances.I have owned several Toyotas most had 140k plus on when sold and I have not had to put oil in any of them in between services thus the concern with this one.

It is on a Dealer oil consumption check from a refill every 1000 miles at the moment but it looks like it will be a case of regular top ups then.

"I have had to top the oil up twice due to the oil light coming on."

That light is a warning that your engine oil pressure is too low. It is no an oil level warning.

If it has come on twice and driving has been continued then it's possible that engine damage could have occured depending on how long driven and at what speed!