Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New owner no original key. Advice please.

Yummymummy93

Good evening.

I just picked up my 02 rav 4. And I'm in love.It's a d4d 2ltr diesel. 

One issue is it has a jma key that has no remote locking. It opens drivers door and boot hatch but not passenger door and no central locking. It starts the car and no issues with the alarm. (Valet key?) 

I have non of the original keys that makes me think they have been lost at some point over the 14 years it's been around.

I'd like to either 

A get a original key with buttons or

B just a remote for locking and unlocking. 

Has anyone got any advice for what would be the best and cheapest course of action as I'm thinking I'm going to need a new master key... £££

Think a main dealer would need the key code - usually a four or five figure number. This would have been supplied on a small metal tag when the car was new, and often attached to one of the original keyrings. However, this tag may also have gone astray. The code may have been entered into the vehicle details of the service booklet.

Then again replacement keys from a main dealer (whichever manufacturer) will probably be in the region of £150+ including programming.

Your best bet may be to go to an auto locksmith.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's worse than that.  The valet key will not allow a new key to be programmed to the car.  You must have a "master" key for that.  If you do not have a master key, the solution is a very expensive new ECU and maybe some other peripheral bit of electronics.  With some makes (e.g. Peugeot) it is possible to "virginise" the electronics, so that it looks like a new unit to the programming software.  I don't know whether that is the case with Toyota.

If you bought the car from a dealer, you should go back and insist that he meets the cost of supplying a master key.

I bought my RAV4 with one master and one valet key  The first thing I did was make another master key,just in case the first one is lost or becomes defective.

You might be alright; I suspect the JMA key you mention is using a cloned transponder code from an original Toyota master key.

If so, you can probably just order a new remote key from Toyota (They are the only people you can get original blank remote keys from!) and have them program the ECU with the new key's transponder code, as the cloned key's transponder should still allow that if it's a master code.

IIRC you don't need an original remote key to program the remote central locking so the fact that the existing key doesn't have a remote isn't a problem. The codes for the remote locking and the immobilizer transponder are totally separate systems as far as I can tell.

I currently have a kludged key for my Yaris - I bought a used remote locking module from eBay to try and get a new key on the cheap; I was able to program the remote central locking, but was never able to program in the transponder; In the end I got an autolocksmith to clone my existing key's transponder onto an RFID and super-glue it into the key case with the remote module; Works great but ultimately ended up costing near what buying one from Toyota would have cost, and with more hassle! (And I'm still wondering whether having two keys with the same transponder code is going to cause problems later...!)

Actually, you can get a remote uncut keyfob from Car Keys Online.  From your VIN, they can tell you whether you need a fob with a 4C chip (which you can program yourself using the key/door pedal hokey-cokey routine -see Youtube) or the 4D chip, which has to be programmed with Toyota Techstream software.  They will also cut the key, either from the code, if you have it, or a photo.

I believe I saved quite a bit, compared with going to the dealer, even including the cost of a Techstream disk and cable, which, of course, I now have for faultfinding, etc