Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hybrid tourer disopointing mpg

Jtustin

Having recently purchased a 2013 Auris Excel  Hybrid tourer 17 inch wheels  from the dealers I've found the mpg disopointing around 44 mpg average reading also I've noticed petrol seems to cut in more than it did with my prius mk 2  also mpg seems to drop off more sharply than the prius under different conditions and doesn't seem to hold eV mode quite as wellobviously I'm used to hybrids or am I missing something with the Auris I would have expected nearer 50 I did manage 52 on a mix of motorway and a a roads at the weekend 

Edited by Jtustin
Omitted fuel type

I've had my Auris Touring Sports about a year and tend to average around 60mpg a tank according to the car itself. I just got 550 miles out of one tank which the car says is 65mpg but using an mpg calculator looks more like 58, which I'm still happy with.

If you've had a hybrid before I'm not sure what it could be, though don't bigger alloys lose some mpg? Mine are 15s.

HonestJohn's RealMPG suggests 53mpg http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/auris-touring-sports-2013 . However, as you know various things (e.g. trip profile, driving style, tyres, ambient temp etc. etc.) all affect results.

by any chance does you auris have a new set of tyres fitted as you mpg will change due to the distance the car travels per revolution

my IS300h used to display 52 mpg and after i changed the tyres it dropped to 48 - 49 mpg,also motorway driving isn't where you

get the best mpg as the engine will be running all of the time.

My 2014 Auris Excel Hybrid Sports Tourer has the 17" wheels with their original 225 section Dunlop FastResponse tyres. 

It has recently had its third tank refill. (Refilling at my fuel warning light takes about 38 litres.)

Despite it taking me almost the whole of the first tank to discover that the tyres were under inflated, in total I've consumed 115 litres of petrol and covered 1397 miles to the last fill. My maths makes that 54.93mpg true. The car is claiming that its doing about 60.3 overall. 

Close to the HonestJohn figure, and certainly not good enough to boast about, but if I can get that, new to HSD driving, I'm sure others could do at least as well. 

I do a lot of short urban journeys (many from cold), a few 10/20 miles plus return, had just one long motorway day (right round the M25) and the trip with the best indicated mileage was a 50 mile cross country amble across the Weald and the same distance home in steady traffic on a very flat road (that's Romney Marsh) - the flat return trip indicated 75mpg! 

I am expecting mpg to drop slightly through the winter. 

Tyre pressures have made a significant difference. I'm now running at 35 psi. 

Lots of hsd and prius drives run there tyre pressure higher than this. I`ve found 40psi to be about right...tyres are 225 45/17 and I`m averaging 55mpg...and get 62mpg with the cruise conrtol set at a fraction under 70mph. These figures are from the cars display, not calculated. But I`m happy with this.

Notice the engine seems to run more frequently than I would expect round town and Battery rarely gets to full also average mpg drops off quite sharply when engine cuts in it is an approved car I've only been driving 2 weeks so it could be early days

From my own experience, both cars i drive, are supposed to be generation 3. Though they drive differently, I would say this has helped me to tweak my driving style to get more out of the tank. In the Auris I have gone from 420 mile range to 494 per tank and hope to increase that further in time.

The Yaris (2013) has a smaller Battery and yet the ev range is twice that of the Auris (2010). I was expecting the ev range to be the same  or thereabouts, since its supposed to be the same system.

as an update to my post im now averageing between 48.3-48.7  mainly town driving after having the car for 2 wks iam hoping to better this even though its still an hybrid i have noticed it performs very different to my mk2 prius so am adapting  to this my  try changeing the tyre presures as suggested by other members

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links