Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Crunching 3rd gear after fluid change

mikey-t

Hey all. Looking for some advice please. I recently had the gearbox oil changed and now roughly a month after the job was done the first few gear changes going from second to third have started to crunch like mad, no problems whatsoever before the fluid change. The fluid used was the correct grade but was just Halfords own brand. What are the chances of a more expensive brand or toyota's own fluid will cure the issue? Thanks!!

Crunching gears are likely to be caused by a faulty clutch mechanism rather than a gearbox problem.

Check for leaks on the slave cylinder on the transmission housing. Lift the lip of the rubber boot to see if there's any dampness. Any leaks on the master cylinder should visible around the push-rod attached to the pedal. 

When you say "correct grade" what grade did you use as a quick look on Halfords website I can't find a compatible Halfords oil?

Mines is the same! mine started when the smf was put in now I've the dmf in and still happening but when I slowly put the clutch in fully it helps it doesn't crunch?I've the luk dmf clutch and proper gearbox oil from Toyota. 

5 hours ago, gazza1286 said:

Crunching gears are likely to be caused by a faulty clutch mechanism rather than a gearbox problem.

Check for leaks on the slave cylinder on the transmission housing. Lift the lip of the rubber boot to see if there's any dampness. Any leaks on the master cylinder should visible around the push-rod attached to the pedal. 

If it is clutch related why is it only doing on third and why only the first few shifts?

1 hour ago, Devon Aygo said:

When you say "correct grade" what grade did you use as a quick look on Halfords website I can't find a compatible Halfords oil?

According to the manual ; Oil Type: Gear oil API GL-4 or GL-5 Recommended oil viscosity: SAE 75W-90 

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/gearbox-oil/halfords-gear-oil-ep-75w-90-gl-5-1l

This is what I got from halfrauds.

Gear Crunching is either a worn synchromesh or the clutch isn't fully disengaged. I would eliminate the clutch as a possibility. Does it crunch if the clutch is depressed slowly as suggested? Try 'double pumping' between 2nd and 3rd - if the clutch seals are allowing fluid bypass then this might reduce this and confirm the fault. Have you noticed any change in biting point? If it's now tending towards the floor then that's an indication of worn seals. The gear oil you've used is the correct grade. I presume that your happy that the oil level is correct? How many miles has the car done? Boxes last up to 200k. I've never used Halfords oil before but I'd be surprised if that's the cause. If the clutch is eliminated as being the cause, swapping the gear oil seems to be the next least expensive option. 

The correct grade for your car is a mono grade 75w oil the "90" part makes the oil too thick when warm, if the issue only occurred after changing the oil i would recommend refilling with the correct MT LV 75w gear oil to see if this improves things otherwise as above it would appear you have mechanical issue that needs repair.

46 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

The correct grade for your car is a mono grade 75w oil the "90" part makes the oil too thick when warm, if the issue only occurred after changing the oil i would recommend refilling with the correct MT LV 75w gear oil to see if this improves things otherwise as above it would appear you have mechanical issue that needs repair.

I'm confused... The OP has quoted from his owner's manual that the recommended oil is 75w90. My manual says the same. Have Toyota changed their advice? 

Hmmm, very intriguing!! Really hoping the oil that toyota recommends in the official handbook supplied with the vehicle hasn't damaged anything.:angry:

3 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

Hmmm, very intriguing!! Really hoping the oil that toyota recommends in the official handbook supplied with the vehicle hasn't damaged anything.:angry:

Just been looking on Opie to order some but a bit confused. Would the Castrol Syntrans FE 75W Fully Synthetic Car Gearbox Oil be suitable?

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-69412-castrol-syntrans-fe-75w-full-synthetic-gear-oil-gl4.aspx

I used a lucas oils synthetic gear oil of the last recommended grade published after I changed a drive shaft seal

2nd gear was crunchy and I worried I had run box dry and done damage but was dramatically less now after different oil

4 years later still running slick

13 hours ago, mikey-t said:

Just been looking on opie to order some but a bit confused. Would the Castrol Syntrans FE 75W Fully Synthetic Car Gearbox Oil be suitable?

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-69412-castrol-syntrans-fe-75w-full-synthetic-gear-oil-gl4.aspx

Handbook for manual transmission on my car says use Toyota Gear Oil LV otherwise other gear oil that meets API GL-4 SAE 75W specifications. Since the Castrol Syntrans meets the API GL-4 SAE 75W spec you should be OK. If you want to be ubersafe get the Toyota LV oil.

I agree it's confusing when you get the oil that's recommended in your handbook then find out it's causing problems but what can I tell you? Since I run automatics it doesn't affect me but if you want to kill a couple of hours Google GL-4 vs GL-5.  

5 minutes ago, TomdeGuerre said:

Handbook for manual transmission on my car says use Toyota Gear Oil LV otherwise other gear oil that meets API GL-4 SAE 75W specifications. Since the Castrol Syntrans meets the API GL-4 SAE 75W spec you should be OK. If you want to be ubersafe get the Toyota LV oil.

I agree it's confusing when you get the oil that's recommended in your handbook then find out it's causing problems but what can I tell you? Since I run automatics it doesn't affect me but if you want to kill a couple of hours Google GL-4 vs GL-5.  

Brilliant. Thanks for the help everyone, gonna order Castrol syntrans and update this thread when I have replaced the oil.

The advice from the Owner's Handbook whether to use single grade oil or multi-grade 75w90 for the Manual Transaxle is given here. It is clearly dependent upon which engine is fitted to the vehicle. It is also clear that only Toyota oil should be used where 75W is required. 

20161002_110755-1_zpswvchijaq.jpg

20161002_111118-1_zpsyjo7lvyh.jpg

In my case the 1ZZ is fitted 1.8, so the 75w90 is advised. 

Devon, any chance you can confirm the correct grade of gearbox oil for a 2008 1.8 avensis TR please?

It would be helpful to edit your profile information so members know which engine you have, and would go some way towards ensuring the correct advice being posted.

So, small update guys. Went and got some oil from toyota. It is a 75 mono grade as devon stated, £30 for 2 litres. Put it in yesterday and hey presto!! gear change feels much snappier and no more crunching at all. :happy:

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links