Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2012 d4d gearbox issues

mpg_junkie

Hi all, 

I have a 2012 D4D mk3 (6 speed manual) with 50000 miles on it and have been having gearbox trouble off and on for the last few months which seems to be getting worse. Some days the gearbox is nice and slick, but other days it won't go into gear (particularly 1st and 2nd) and sometimes it will go in but feels notchy (resistance half way through the gear lever throw). I have had it in to the dealer for inspection, they said they can find nothing unusual about the gearbox operation but greased all linkages and changed the gearbox oil anyway (which made no difference). I have also tried driving without the footwell mat (suggested by a mate to ensure full clutch pedal travel) which did nothing. 

Any experience of this issue? Does it sound like a sticky cable, sticky gear stick, failing synchro-mesh, clutch issue, something else?

Thanks

MPG

• 2 weeks later...

Just bumping this up. Does no replies mean this is an odd experience for a modern D4D I am having?

Presumably not a common occurence.

Be aware that topic bumping is against the t&c's. 

• 4 months later...

Just an update on my ongoing gearbox issue, the car is going in this week for an investigation into the notchy gearbox issue, although they said that if they have to strip the gearbox and can't find anything obvious I will get charged for their workshop labour costs. 

I got to this stage 'after 4 visits to 2 dealers) having contacted Toyota UK about the issue after nearly bring involved in 2 separate road accidents due to the gears, in one I couldn't get 2nd gear to proceed at a roundabout and had to stop with a truck nearly rear ending me. Then last week the car got stuck between neutral and 2nd at another large roundabout and the car coasted to a halt in the middle of a busy roundabout. 

I have been saving to buy a new Auris D4D but think I have lost confidence in Toyota cars and moreso their customer support (the dealer suggested the fault is not with the car but that I am using the gearbox wrongly - after 24 years of motoring). I test drove a new Honda Civic diesel and think I might buy that instead of the Auris (unless Toyota can impress me at the 11th hour). 

I will keep the community updated with the outcome of the investigation.

MPG_Junkie

I had a similar issue engaging 3rd gear when the car mileage was around 20k miles. After another 10k miles was out in it was all smooth...

BUT recently when mileage hit 110k I had to grease the gaiter as it makes squeaky noise. Other than the above, all good for a little car. 

• Like 1

Hi Perfection, t

Thanks for the reply, glad your Yaris is serving you well they are good cars in general and I like it apart from this. I had hoped the gearbox issue would right itself in time but it seems to be getting worse (although it can behave itself for weeks on end then let me down with no warning, then be fine again 10 minutes later). 

Mpg_J

Hi I was just reading your gear change issue , I would recommend having the gearbox oil changed , I would imagine it's more likely to be a cable , gear-lever /linkage mech than the gearbox ie if it was a synchromesh issue these don't get better or worse everynow and then . If it was an issue when the box is cold the garage won't find a fault as your gearbox will be warm  , i own a T27 avensis 2012 and the gear change is a bit clunky when cold but smooth when warm . I'm going to change my gear oil to a straight 75w gear oil Which other owners recommend on the site . 

• Like 1

Hi Alan,

I suspect you are right, I think it is either a snagging cable or a mechanism that has too much free play and moves out of place to stop the smooth gear operation (I assume the dealer will strip & clean or replace cables, etc before starting to trail the gearbox to bits!!).

I hope the dealer can find the issue and put it right this time round as it has given me a very low opinion of Toyota which I accept is probably an oddity.

Mpg_J

Unfortunately most dealers will send a mech up the road in your car for a mile or two and back if it dosent do it they will pop the bonnet have a look etc and walk back into there service manager saying I can't find anything wrong and onto there next service . When I was a workshop supervisor mech I would road test the car with the customer and go through what's the best plan of action . Then hand it to the best mech for the job and keep the no nothing mech and young pups changing oil until they progressed enough to move onto bigger jobs . I remeber the days when a certain manufacture used a paper coated first gear syn to ring lasted about 5000 miles on a 4x4 gearbox lol. When I walk into a dealer now and it just grips my s##t at the lack of customer service grrrrr .

Hi Alan,

just spotted your post, although the dealer should have eliminated these we have found two causes for what you are describing, first being the gear leaver at the cup section wears then starts to lift so when you move the leaver against the left gate it does not go far enough to the left a quick way to test this is when your change baulks just lift the reverse collar like you intend to engage reverse then move leaver fractionally further to the left and see if you then get first and second you can also practice this while stationary to get a better feel for it cure will be new gear lever.

We have also had the linkage go out of adjustment and in one case the cables stretch though again the dealer should have checked this, cure re adjust and or new cables.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Mel.

Hi all,

just to update you on my issue with the Yaris, the car was left with a Toyota dealer for a few days and they came back to say the fault didn't display itself which is fair enough as it is an intermittent fault.

However, Toyota customer service then contacted me to say my car is fine and that as the fault didn't display itself on a few trips the fault clearly doesn't exist (making me a time-wasting liar). I marvel at the logic!

I pointed out that surely the very essence of an intermittent fault is that it occurs intermittently and therefore simply because it didn't replicate in a few short test drives does not determine that no fault exists. The fact that the car left me stranded on a busy roundabout after it got stuck between gears is of no interest to them (or more likely they just don't care).

Toyota made it very clear that they are washing their hands of the fault which to be honest I am amazed by. Surely it is easier to do a little digging in a workshop than lose a customer for life? I expected that unprofessional attitude from Fiat or Renault but not one of the Japanese giants.

The bottom line is that I still have a gear stick that occasionally goes through short periods were I cannot get 2nd (and sometimes 1st) gear and the warranty has just run out (not that it was worth anything as I painfully found out) so Toyota no longer want to know unless it is to get more money out of me for one of their £295 oil changes which is due in 3000 miles.

The only options for me is to try to get it fixed at an independent garage (strangely enough I won't be near another Toyota garage in the near future) or I might trade it in and buy a car from a reputable marque like Honda. I have saved nearly £15k to buy a new 1.4 D4D Auris but that isn't happening now and I think a new Honda Civic is a better route.

I am not annoyed that my Yaris has a fault, cars are machines and even the best ones have issues eventually, but the stinky hand-wringing attitude from Toyota customer service has made me regret buying a Toyota.

Does anyone know how I can escalate this to Toyota Japan???

A very miffed MPG_junkie

You could always write to the Toyota UK MD. I did this when I complaint the dpf problem in order to get a replacement . 

If you pm me I can provide a name and email address . 

Name and email sent.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links