Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heater Matrix

tarantula_123

Hi,

I am finally getting round to replacing my T - Sport heater matrix, and I have found one on eBay for just under £100, brand new with a warranty. However, opinions are mixed on whether you need to take the dash out or not. Any ideas on this? Anybody replaced one before on this model?

Thanks,

tarantula_123.

• 2 weeks later...

Dale

It is relatively easy to remove the matrix without removing the dash so long as you are a bit of a contortionist.

Remove the glove box, remove plastic cover on r/h side of footwell (it covers the matrix pipes) , you have to cut a small piece off to get it out but it won't show.

Drain the water from the system and then undo the 2 pipe clamps, (1 for in and 1 for out) and then pull / slide the matrix towards you.

Putting the new one is just reversing the process but you may need new 'o'rings for the pipes.

There is a post on here somewhere with text and  pictures of how to do it, but it is probably 5 years since I did mine.

Hope it helps.

Dave

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I think I stumbled across that post, but it doesn't contain pictures. 

I suppose it's just trying to find a mechanic in my area to do it the shortcut way.

Thanks,

tarantula_123.

• 2 weeks later...

Not that easy and not too hard i have done them loads of times you need to take the top dash out and glove box vlower box need to dismantel ecu and loads of electronics 5hrs job for an experience person.

On 21/10/2016 at 10:26 PM, Khan saab said:

Not that easy and not too hard i have done them loads of times you need to take the top dash out and glove box vlower box need to dismantel ecu and loads of electronics 5hrs job for an experience person.

I'm assuming this is the more lengthy, proper way of doing it though?

I am more than happy for someone to do the shortcut version for me, as mentioned above. It's just a case of finding a mechanic who is willing or capable of doing it this way.

Thanks,

tarantula_123.

Where are you actually based......go onto facebook and search for Sam Nadeem or TOC! or SJ autosport or Corolla Club UK. 

He is the expert on T sports.....you are about an hour away.  Get a list of things to get him to to.  Ask him for a matrix as well.

• 5 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Khan saab said:

Have you changed it yet or not .if not i'll do it .

Hi,

Yes, I got it replaced with an original second hand heater matrix.

For the heater matrix itself and the labour, the total cost was £80.

Thanks,

tarantula_123.

• 2 months later...

Cannot stand a cold interior on the girlfriend's T Sport any longer! Its a 03 so I know there is some history to this problem.

Replacement aftermarket heater matrix is on its way. Going to attempt the exchange myself without removing dash. Guidance on here has been invaluable. 

I am planning on removing heater motor and drop ECU that sits below and move to the side. Stage I am unclear about is do I need to cut the heater box mount at the front or can I move it by removing all the mounting screws holding it in place?

Many thanks

Cyclopse

• 6 years later...
On 10/13/2016 at 12:40 PM, Pandamaniac1 said:

Dale

It is relatively easy to remove the matrix without removing the dash so long as you are a bit of a contortionist.

Remove the glove box, remove plastic cover on r/h side of footwell (it covers the matrix pipes) , you have to cut a small piece off to get it out but it won't show.

Drain the water from the system and then undo the 2 pipe clamps, (1 for in and 1 for out) and then pull / slide the matrix towards you.

Putting the new one is just reversing the process but you may need new 'o'rings for the pipes.

There is a post on here somewhere with text and  pictures of how to do it, but it is probably 5 years since I did mine.

Hope it helps.

Dave

Sorry this is an ancient post but hoping someone here sees it, I've got the matrix about 9/10ths the way out but it's hitting the bolt mounts (In the plastic blower fan unit) that the ECU is held up by, it looks like I'll need to cut the entire tab (2 inches+) off? is it not easy to losen the blower fan housing and move it over?