Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis T25 Hatchback boot lid noise

Artiom

Hi all,

When driving on uneven roads the boot lid makes noises like its lock is loose.

As on hatchbacks the boot lid has integrated window - it is really heavy and over time it seems to wear the rubber dampeners (not sure how to call them correctly).

What would be the best way to fix this:

1. Adjust the lock? How? Are there any manuals about this?

2. Replace the rubber dampeners?

3. Replace gas struts?

Are there any other ideas? It looks like this is a common issue, however I was not able to find much information on it - suspect I am not formulating the search request correctly...

Thank you,

Artiom

Conceivably the rubber bump stops may have perished a bit with age, so may be worth replacing those - could send Parts-King a personal message detailing your car (regn no as a minimum) and what you want to get an idea of costs.

• Like 1

Usually the lock can be adjusted.  Look at the latch for a couple of screws holding it on, slacken them, move the latch a little bit away from the direction of the boot, and tighten again.  If you move it too far the boot probably won't close properly, simply move it back a little.

35 minutes ago, alan333 said:

Usually the lock can be adjusted.  Look at the latch for a couple of screws holding it on, slacken them, move the latch a little bit away from the direction of the boot, and tighten again.  If you move it too far the boot probably won't close properly, simply move it back a little.

Thank you for the suggestion, I knew that it can be adjusted but wasn't sure how exactly. Will try that while waiting for an answer from Parts-King.

+ 1 for the rubber bump stops. Mine started doing exactly the same so spaced them out with washers but 6 months later they have worn again it's rattling once again. Replacements are £35 all in.

47 minutes ago, mikey-t said:

+ 1 for the rubber bump stops. Mine started doing exactly the same so spaced them out with washers but 6 months later they have worn again it's rattling once again. Replacements are £35 all in.

Can you please point me where did you find them? I tried to search but can't find anything except the tailgate gas struts.

1 hour ago, Artiom said:

Can you please point me where did you find them? I tried to search but can't find anything except the tailgate gas struts.

From toyota mate. 

So, here are my findings so far:

- no idea what is the part number and correct name - a Toyota dealer said they will call back but never did.

- I tried to adjust the lock latch - the thingy at the bottom would not move as it has only one position and I did not disassemble the actual lock mechanism on the tailgate as it has a lot of plastic parts which I don't want to break

- the small rubber bump stops at the end of tailgate are fine - no signs of wear at all

- finally, there are pairs of big rubber stops - I noticed some "polished" areas on them - looks like they rub against each other - and it seems this is creating that noise. I applied a bit of silicone spray to them and a bit of WD40 to the gas struts (not sure if that was a great idea).

After all this a did a test drive (few minutes, 20mph) and did not notice any noise - looks like it is temporarily solved.

Anyway, I will look to replace those bumps and will post here when I will make more tests.

• Like 1

Good solve Artiom. I'm trying this on mine when I pick up some silicone spray!

Small update: Parts-King answered me that the big rubber stops are available and sold individually in any combination. I decided to postpone the purchase until I will do some more driving to see how it works with the silicone spray.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: the silicone spray definitely solved the problem. Not sure for how long it will last - but there is no noise atm.